Plasterboard Ceiling/Walls Query

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi guys,

Newbie on this forum.

I am currently trying my first serious DIY project which is to plasterboard the spare bedroom and build a false ceiling using plasterboards.

The room is 5 metres by 3 metres so not huge.

I just have a few queries and would be most grateful for any feedback.

1. Bare brick walls - how clean do they have to be before attempting dot and dab - I have managed to remove all plaster and any loose sand/plaster left with just bits and bats of sand clusters remaining which can be removed with a brush. Is this sufficient?

2. I will purchase the wood to create the stud frame for ceiling, what is the best way to fix the perimeter of the wood to the walls below the original ceiling? Is 2 by 3 (thats the name I was given) wood sufficient for this.

3. Plasterboards - tapered or straight? Which should be used. Also does the plasterboard need to be staggered on the walls? Walls will be approximately 2600mm high taking the false ceiling into equation?

4. Is it advisable to fit the door frame in first and then use that as a guide for aligning the plasterboards around the room.

I won't be touching any electrics as the switches are all fine and will just cut plasterboard around them.

Thanks in advance for any feedback to the many questions I have.

Sponsored Links
1) providing all loose debris and dust surfaces are sorted, any greasy stuff.
Your good to go. Could be worth a wet down!
2) Does it need battening out, is your current ceiling not flat/even?
If not screw them up to the existing joist you can also screw them in to wall, belt/braces. Remember they may need to be packed out to bring to level.
3) Tapered edge for joint taping systems, square edge for plaster finish.
Boards should be staggered for ceiling, I will supply a link shortly.
http://www.zurich.co.uk/NR/rdonlyre...DE0F7CFBC0/0/PlasterboardCeiling107782A02.pdf
4) It's always worth doing a calculation on the door frame sizes, if you are dot/dabbing, it will bring the wall alittle further than the old basecoat and finish method and they are best fitted first.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back