Plasterboard stud partition, decoration and building regs.

TEC

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
With an impending new arrival (due in August) are we are dividing our existing large double bedroom to create a smaller nursery room and an office/guest room. At some point in the past a previous owner had knocked through two room to create one very large bedroom so we are actually returning the house to it’s original layout. You can view a plan of the current layout here and a plan of the new layout here (documents should open as pfd files).

Firstly: does anybody know if I’m likely to need approval from my local planning authority for this?

Secondly: For the partition, I’m intending to use taper edged plaster board which I’ll joint and tape and then paint. Has anybody got any tips for achieving a good finish, or can point me to a good on-line article on doing this?

Cheers,

Tom.

Sponsored Links
you definitely will not need planning permission. just be careful that you install a thermostatically controlled radiator and that the sparky is part 'p' self certificating.

Thanks noseall, the room as it is now has two thermostatically controlled radiators which will end up one in each room. The only electrical work to be done is changing the existing two gang switch (which controls the two lights currently in place) for two one gang switches, on for each existing light. As this isn’t classed as an addition and will be in a bedroom it doesn’t require a part-p certificate, shouldn’t need to get a spark in all.

sounds like you have your bases covered, though it may be wise to install some (sound) insulation in the stud voids.

Sponsored Links
That sounds like a good idea, especially as it will be my office which is sharing the new nursery wall! Any suggestions on good sound insulation material?

Staggered stud construction gives much better sound insulation too. You can use 3x2 studs on a 4" plate. Use 4" rockwool in between as mentioned.
staggered-stud-wall.jpg

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back