Plasterboard to Thermalite?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All,

I'm currently building an extension and I'm trying to plan how to plasterboard the thermalite block walls.

Which would be the best way to go; dot-and-dab straight to the walls, or fix to battens? Maybe there's a better way?

Any help or advice would be very greatly appreciated.

Cheers, Paul.

Sponsored Links
But as you DIY why not do it properly and use wet plaster since time is not an issue and you value long term durability?

Sponsored Links
disaster waiting to happen, prob the hardest surface to plaster on to with wet plaster you will find most of it falls on the floor with these blocks, dot and dab you do not get this problem

disaster waiting to happen, prob the hardest surface to plaster on to with wet plaster you will find most of it falls on the floor with these blocks, dot and dab you do not get this problem

You mean you cannot plaster onto these blocks?

I rather doubt you are a professional plasterer!

If these blocks are so difficult to stick to, how is the dot and dab adhesive supposed to adhere?

Spuggy these forums are useful allright, but do some homework before you take a stranger's word on what can and cannot be done :LOL: ;)

Lightweight blocks will receive wet plaster (thistle bonding, browning) as well as any board adhesive, they just need a good soaking first.

But, the o.p.'s Q was asking the best way to fix a board to the wall. The best way is to dab it. If however he were to use a foil backed board then battens would be the way to go.

Get it done properly & plaster it; D&D has its uses but I think it’s a shame to cheapen a new extension by using D&D. ;)

& of course you can plaster onto Thermalites; you can plaster practically anything with the right preparation. :rolleyes:

A few years ago, Screwfix used to sell some plastic "nails" which you could use to nail through plasterboard into thermalite blocks.

They had a large square head and the nail split/bent outwards as it went into the block making it virtually impossible to pull them out.

These were great for getting the best of both dry and boarded plaster.

The downside, was that it relied on the brickies building the walls plumb and square :eek:

Anyway, for the OP I'd recommend using some foam fix - Insta Stik is fast and easy

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back