Plasterboard vs Cement

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My builder is putting plasterboard directly onto the brickwork, rather than cementing and then plastering (I have heard this is another option). Why is it that more builders like to dry line than fully plaster now. Any comments on the advantages of either. I ask as I have been questioned as to why my builder is doing this. I trust him and am sure it is correct. But any opinions??

Thanks
Christine

:cool:

Sponsored Links
dot 'n' dab dry lining is faster and should therefore be cheaper..
not to mention that you can then also add insulation by using foam backed boards, or vapour protection by using foil backed boards..

Far cheaper to dry line plus u get a far better plastered wall on dry lined walls.

Sponsored Links
personally i disagree with brist, u cant beat a soild plastered wall, it gives a better feel to the room. ive had it done in a previous house and difference was very obvious, more expensive but i prefered it, saying that there is nothing wrong with a dry lined and plastered wall

it depends on how often you intend to stumble against it on a friday night / very early hours of saturday morning, whilst trying to get your trousers off over your shoes..

dot 'n' dab leaves voids behind it so sounds hollow when tapped in places.. and may even break if struck with force..

Plasterboard on dabs is more thermally efficient than render&plaster. That's why it is the usual spec on new builds since the 80's. Speed, and therefore cost is another consideration.

personally having tried the two I'd tell your builder to throw away the plasterboard as you are saving up problems down the line.

It is a nightmare to fix things too properly - if you overtighten it collapses the boards or makes creases.
If you wallpaper it the first time you put a scraper onto it the paper lining comes away and then you have to skim it anyway to get a good surface back.
The cavity behind allows penetration of wind via the brickwork/soffits/airbricks and all these do is blow the breezeblock dust out under your skirting and stains the carpet edge. (make sure your builder seals the gap between the boards and the floor to minimise this risk I've seen too many where the gap is about 1" and all kinds of sh*t falls out)

The only downside I've found so far with render/plaster is that it is colder to the touch but that's nothing that an Anaglypta wallpaper can't take care of.

That's why I sold my 85' build and move into a '64 build - better soundproofing and walls that don't get wrecked by dents from the vaccum cleaner or kids toys.

No doubt there are others who feel the opposite. I just wish to help you make an informed choice.

but nowadays if you are going to solid plaster surely u use hardwall as undercoat and not render

i have both solid float 'n' set plastering as well as dot 'n' dab in my house and, as far as surface performance goes the two aren't that different. dabbed boards should have at least 50% percent of the board in contact with the adhesive dabs, if done correctly.

thats a heck of a lot more than a stud wall. :rolleyes:

but i agree a bit of a pain to fix to, unless you have access to a van full of fixings. ;)

EDITED. c/o markie. ;)

noseall said:
i have both solid float 'n' set plastering as well as dot 'n' dab in my house and, as far as surface performance goes the two aren't that different. dabbed boards should have at least 50% percent of the board in contact with the adhesive dabs, if done correctly.

thats a heck of a lot more than a stud wall. :rolleyes:

but i agree a bit of a pain to fix to, unless you have access tom a van full of fixings. ;)

Whats a tom :confused: :LOL: ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back