Plasterboard

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi guys, a family member is moving to a new house soon, and want my help with putting an aerial up to 3 points, which isnt a problem.
But the main tv he wants to put on to a wall in the lounge which is Hollow plasterboard, with the furniture etc this is the only viable wall to use.

so you can guess my question, should i use these to fix the bracket to the wall ??

http://www.screwfix.com/p/hollow-wall-anchor-5-x-72mm-16-32mm-pack-of-10/11143

Sponsored Links
This gets asked fairly frequently. It has been answered...many times...in depth. Search through some of the older threads.You'll find a wealth of info.

This gets asked fairly frequently. It has been answered...many times...in depth. Search through some of the older threads.You'll find a wealth of info.

thanks i have been searching but i cant find anything regarding an actual Hollow wall and what fixings to use ..

What do you mean by "hollow plasterboard"? Plasterboard is solid. Do you mean a wall constructed of wooden support battens with plasterboard each side? Or do you mean a "dry-lined" block wall, with plasterboard supported on "dobs" of plaster?

Sponsored Links
just a plasterboard wall, with no wooden batons behind it that i could attatch to. so the fixings i linked to , would they be right for a tv bracket ?

just a plasterboard wall, with no wooden batons behind it that i could attatch to. so the fixings i linked to , would they be right for a tv bracket ?

It has to have either battens or a solid wall behind it. Plasterboard doesn't just sit there by itself.

Check stud spacing, will be (hopefully for your sake) 400mm centres.

If thats the case you're on to a winner and you can get a bracket which will span at least 3 studs if you get it right, minimum two. You can then get some heavy duty wall anchors which will fix straight into the stud. Dont even think about hanging a TV on plasterboard. There is no fixing that will hold it as far as I know.

Check stud spacing, will be (hopefully for your sake) 400mm centres.

If thats the case you're on to a winner and you can get a bracket which will span at least 3 studs if you get it right, minimum two. You can then get some heavy duty wall anchors which will fix straight into the stud. Dont even think about hanging a TV on plasterboard. There is no fixing that will hold it as far as I know. unless you have a very light thin LED telly.

If it's just a single skin of board then your only hope is to find the studs and coach screw into the battens, if your back plate for the mount isnt wide enough to span the battens then an MDF pad will have to be screwed on first then the mount goes onto there.

If you have twin boarded walls then use snaptoggles, we use them all the time for hanging everything from a small 32" screen to multiple screen video walls.

http://www.toolfixservices.com/fixings.php

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back