Plasterboarding a ceiling?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Just so that this is 100% clear in my head.

I've bought 9.5mm sheets measuring 1200 x 2400.

My Kit floor area is 2.55m x 3.55m.

I assume that I'm OK to fix the whole sheets, staggered, and at 90 degrees to the joists, so that basically I'm using almost 3 whole boards wide (1200 x 3 nr = 3600, Kit is 3550 wide etc.).

It is OK to use whole sheets/boards isn't it so long as they're staggered etc. ?

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
yes to whole boards! the less joints in the ceiling the better, use 38mm bugle headed drywall screws unless you're overboarding in which case use longer.

bound/un-cut edges of the board at 90 degrees to the joists and stagger the boards where possible so that you don't have continuous joins across the ceiling.

Assuming I've understood correctly & the ceiling is a the same size as the floor; according to the sizes you’ve given, your going to be 150mm or so short length so will need at least 4 boards not 3!

You don’t want narrow bands of board across the joists each end either so you need to think about how you’re going to board it out & stagger the joins; you must also fit the boards so the longest edges run down the centre of a joist.

fit the boards in a brickwork fashion to minimize the amount of continuous joints, lay the boards across the joists and use screws.

get yourself some board props to make it easier on yourself.

Sponsored Links
boarded a ceiling using 8x4 boards on my own last month and tried out a 'board mate' from the drywall emporium, have to say it was a great help on occasion, along with a prop of course.

certainly harder than doing it with a mate but definitely manageable.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back