Plasterboarding a house

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

I've completely stripped all the plaster from the walls in my living room and will be doing the ceiling next. Someone suggested that I should use plaster boards for both and that by using plasterboards for all the walls would also help with insulation and keep the cost down as they would only need skimming.

I agree that it should save costs as I would be able to do the who house myself, I can see the logic in it helping with insuation as it would trap air between the plasterboard and wall, but this leads to an important question.

If there are gaps between the plasterboard and wall will this cause any issues with damp or other issues?

What are the pro's and con's to this?

Sponsored Links
unless theres a problem with damp you should be sound. drying out time is another advantage.

it is an easy way out,i have recently had my whole house done and it now seems the norm with every builder to dry line rather then render/plaster
it looks fine when skimmed but id be lying if i said i liked it,its a bitch to fix things to ,and im not sure some of the boards have enough dabs of adhesive on them,it does make the house a lot warmer though,and as said if you dont have any damp in your walls it should be fine

Sponsored Links
By puting plasterboard onto the walls you will create a cavity between the wall and board, this will give some additional insulation.

Putting the plasterboard up is the easy part - either by dot dabbing or fixing to a timber frame - but you then have to finish it either by taping and filling the joints or skim coat plaster.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back