Plasterboarding Ceilings - Nasty work!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I'm just going through the horrible job of ripping down the old lathe & plaster bedroom ceilings as they sagging pretty bad not to mention the cracks and damage to them.

Anyway, i thought i'd start on bedroom 3 (the smallest) to practice on, i've got the ceiling off so just i'm just left with the 3" x 1.5" batons.

I've had a quick look at plasterboard is this stuff reccommend for ceilings, correct thickness??
http://www.wickes.co.uk/invt/220230 (Vapourshield Plasterboard
£8.38, £2.91 per SQM Size: 2400 x 1200 x 9.5mm)

Also the actual batons are sagging very slightly, so if i was to put the new plasterboard onto them they would also look as if they are sagging? So is it a good idea to replace the 3"x1.5" battons whilst i'm at it?

Thanks very much for anyhelp whatsoever,

Sponsored Links
Why vapourshield?

Is the ceiling strong enough to take the boards?

Have you someone to help you?

Have you got a cordless drill/driver?

Have you considered buying (or hiring?) a chalked string on a reel thingy for twanging to mark the positions of the joists?

RigidRaider said:
Why vapourshield?

I just thought of the vapoursheild because it might help with insulation and and if any little drips of water fall through the main roof onto it?! But i'm totally guessing here so need other ppl's advice.

I was going to use 32mm drywall screws instead of nails, that ok?

so 9.5mm is recommended for ceilings? Yeah i was worried that the 9.5mm might be a bit flimsy.

Theres nothing in the loft at all as we've just moved in, its a 1930's semi and everything is all orginal and it hasnt been cared for or maintained at all.

Is the ceiling strong enough to take the boards?
Do you mean the wooden battens left over? as the ceilings been ripped down. They are a bit warped/bowed so might replace then
Have you someone to help you?
Yep, but might make a T-Peice out of wood to help.

Have you got a cordless drill/driver?
Yes all ready to go

Have you considered buying (or hiring?) a chalked string on a reel thingy for twanging to mark the positions of the joists?
I'll probably just draw them on

Sponsored Links
try if you can to fix a ceiling binder to the ceiling joists.

this is typically a large section timber that is fixed wall to wall, and too which the ceiling joists are fixed.

it is extensively used to take the "whip" out of large span or undersized roof ceiling joists.

It is also possible to fix "planks" to the sides of the old saggy rafters, so that their lower face projects a little further, and fix your plasterboard to them. They will be level even if the rafters aren't. If the joists are going to carry on sagging it will go wrong again though.

ok cheers for your help so far.

I've had a look at the room again and its the longer beams which span a larger distance that are sagging the most, so i will replace those.

The stringers look in fairly good condition so i'll just reattach them to the new ceiling beams.

try if you can to fix a ceiling binder to the ceiling joists.

this is typically a large section timber that is fixed wall to wall, and too which the ceiling joists are fixed.

it is extensively used to take the "whip" out of large span or undersized roof ceiling joists.

I think i understand what you mean here, so once i replace the ceiling beams i can attach a large piece of timber which spans across the room perpendicular to them and sat on top of them?

Cheers.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back