plasterboarding down to window board

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
it may not make any difference but it would be nice to know the standard practice anyway!
do i put the window boards in 1st then the plasterboard reveals or vice versa?

cheers

jon

Sponsored Links
The way we have done it on the current job (80 windows) is to Plasterboard and plaster window reveals, then install window boards. This way the window boards go in without any chance of getting rubbish on them and you can cut them in nicely. This was mostly because of a massive delay with the window boards though!

But it really doesn't matter too much.

I always plaster reveals & fit window boards last but you need to be confident about cutting them accurately enough that a sliver of caulk will cover the gaps. If not, fit them first & the PB & skim will hide any gaps but no decent spread will cover the boards with crap anyway; the downside is you will never get the boards out again without causing major damage.

Sponsored Links
Window boards in first, then plaster into them .

This is because

a- the window board is held in by the plaster
b - you don't have to do any caulking or filling of the board if it is not cut exactly right
- c it is quicker to do it this way as you don't have to measure each windowboard individually , and deal with slightly off square reveals

d -there will be no gap under the board to caulk or fill if your wall is slightly shy

The alternative is bad planning or some other necessity .

If on a refurb and using polyboards i would defently put in after,it makes sense not to build them in as the damage getting them out if want replacing is not on. also the damage to the board , i know a guy who could not wait to put them in 1st just too make space in his house ,its a funny old game

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back