Plasterboarding over irregular stud wall

iep

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I need to plasterboard a wall where the studs are placed at irregular intervals (anywhere from 40cm to 60cm). As a result, the plasterboard joints will occur at points where there is no stud to attach them too. I think this has been a problem all over house as there are 8x4 shaped cracks all over the place.

How is this problem normally solved? is taping the seam enough to tie the ends of the boards together?

I was thinking of adding an 11mm OSB skin behind the plasterboard with the joints offset. Would that be overkill?

Cheers,

iep

Sponsored Links
If you're boarding a wall that has studs, are you saying that there is already board on it and you're overboarding?
If so, then i'd probably dot'n'dab.
If not and its new board straight onto studs, then what wrong with you cutting the boards to the sizes suited to the studs?

I apologise if i've got this wrapped round my neck.

New plasterboard onto rafters (in this case, rafters = studs). Not previously boarded.

Only reason I was hoping to avoid cutting the board is that I wanted to go with taped seams rather than having to have the whole lot skimmed.

Additionally this will be the plasterboard bonded to thick insulation so it is very expensive and I want to reduce wastage where I can.

Cheers,

iep

you need to be cutting those boards I'm afraid. Although you can't be that fussed about a good finish anyway if you are just taping. Bit the bullet, cut and get it skimmed = proper job.

Sponsored Links
Fair enough, good advice. Finish is important. I didn't realise that taped seams would compromise this. I can live with a bit of wastage as long as the finish is good.

So, cutting to size and skimming is definitely the way to achieve the best finish?

Additionally, the rafters only run vertically (obviously). Any need for additional support on the horizontal seams?

iep

Yep, I'd also put nogging to support any horizontal seams in the plasterboard. Then once the edges are taped and the rest is skimmed you will have a decent finish that stands a good chance of not cracking on the seams.

Sorry, what's nogging? I'm guessing strips of timber behind the plasterboard along the seams?

iep

Scratch that, noggins. Got you.

Seem to be described as dwangs, briddles or nogins depending on who you talk to.

Either way, seem like a good idea to me. I'll factor them in to my plans.

Cheers,

iep

Make your mind up fellow. First you are tacking a stud wall, now you are fixing PL insulation on to underside of rafters.
If rafter centres are irregular, (which they should not be), then if you want to save a shed full of money, do not use PL insulation as it is much to dear to waste. Use standard insulation and overboard with P/B.
It does not matter about insulation flapping about in the breeze, but the unbound ends or cut ends of P/B must always be fixed to stud, joist or rafter
You can increase or decrease your centres slightly by fixing a batten to sides of rafters...
The long bound edges of P/B do not need a noggin at 400 or450 centres, but do need support at 600 centres. Would suggest you re think with regard to using PL insulation.
11mm OSB will be a waste of time and money.
Regards oldun

Hi theoldun. Learning as I go here apologies if I'm using the wrong terms.

House is 300 years old so rafters are a variety of ages and centres (400mm -> 600mm). pitched roof at 45 degrees.

Two loads of insulation. 100mm between rafters and continuous 65mm below rafters. Architect recommended the PL insulation (PL means plasterboard bonded to insulation I'm guessing?) for ease of installation. Apparently is tough to attach the 65mm celotex to a ceiling without the board attached to it? Additionally, I'm thinking it'll be hard to find the rafters to screw the P/B to if I've already covered them in Insulation board.

The long bound edges of P/B do not need a noggin at 400 or450 centres, but do need support at 600 centres. Would suggest you re think with regard to using PL insulation.

Sorry, didn't quite follow the comment above. I think what you're saying is that noggins aren't required provided the rafters are fixed with centres less than 450mm? This would account for most of the rafters so I could just add additional support on those that exceed the 450mm limit?

Cheers,

iep

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back