plastered walls

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi everyone,

we had our house replastered about 6 months ago,all seemed ok and the walls were painted,we have noticed that in the hallway there seems to be a couple of patches that look as though they are damp but when you touch them they feel dry,the guy came back to have a look but couldnt explain what it was,any solutions to get rid of these would be greatly received

Sponsored Links
Impossible to say without more info, some pictures might help!

This hallway wall isn't at the back of a chimney flue is it?

Was any PVA used when replastering? If PVA was on the surface of the skimmimg then emulsion paint can react with this and cause the surface to disintegrate. The answer is to reskim it.

Didn't he have a damp meter? Yet another clueless tradesman. Was he a foreigner?

Sponsored Links

hi everyone,

first time ive put a picture on here so hope it works,

joe-90, no he didnt have a damp meter with him and he was a british worker,

maltaron,pva was used

richard c,no its the wall that seperates the hallway and dining room,

hope this helps

Well he should have a had a damp meter. I've got one for this type of investigation.

In my experience, that amount of damp can only come from a leaking pipe that has corroded. Do you have a concrete floor where the patch is? Is it damp?

I have checked the floor and thats dry, there is no sign of water damage to the carpet or underlay,I've just noticed it looks like there used to be an electric socket on the other side of the wall,so I am wondering if the old conduit piping is rusting,could this be the problem ?

What may be happening is the leak is below the damp membrane in the floor so the floor is dry, but the wall goes down below that membrane so can 'wick it up' like an oil lamp does. I can't think of any other explanation. Do you have any problems with the heating system? If a combi do you lose pressure? If an older system do you hear the header tank dribbling? Do heating pipes pass that way? You don't get that much damp without considerable water.

Thanks Joe for all your help,I've been checking the pipes under the floorboards upstairs and can't see any water dripping from central heating pipes also not losing pressure from combi, will have to get some one to check it for me in case i'm missing something,once again thanks for all your help : )

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back