Plasterer coming Friday - tiles over weight limit

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I was planning to tile after the plasterer had plastered every wall but I’ve just realised my porcelain hexagon 10mm tiles weigh about 20/21kg a m2 taking it over the weight limit for a plastered wall. I’m planning to tile it to look similar to https://www.tilemountain.co.uk/p/apollo-hexagon-black.html but I’m not 100% sure on the pattern yet so I’d only be able to give a guide to where to end the plastering.

He’s due to come on Friday and really don’t want to mess him about. The only options I can think of is:

- Give him a rough guide of where to plaster to and accept some tiles will go partly on to the plaster. Not sure how to deal with the difference in levels between the plastered and not plastered area though.
- be really cautious with the guide and accept that I’ll have to fill the rest in with toupret filler after.
- plaster the whole area and assume the weight limit is overkill

Any other recommendations please?

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Don't forget you'll have adhesive too, which will take you well over.

Can you tile first and he plasters up to the bead?

I’m not going to get a chance to tile by then sadly. I think for the one wall I’m going to go for option 2 so all the tiles will be directly on the plasterboard and I’ll have to fill in the gap between the plaster and tile.

One of the walls by the sink though which is only going to have 2 layers of tiles, I’m going to tile on to the plaster with some of these (https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B09B3F2...d2lkZ2V0TmFtZT1zcF9waG9uZV9kZXRhaWwp13NParams) behind it so that some of the weights can’t transferred to the back of the board. The sink will be holding some of the tile to the board too so I think that should cover it.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back