Plastering a new kitchen.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

I've just had an extension built on the back of my house which will be solely for the kitchen.

I intend to plasterboard the kitchen myself (i've done other rooms in the house) prior to the plasterer coming in.

Something i'm unsure of though, is the stability of the boards if I'm going to be attaching kitchen units to them. i.e. aren't the boards at risk of being crushed if the screws on the units are overtightened?

Is boarding the best approach even?

Any replies will be very helpful.

Cheers

Sponsored Links
Something i'm unsure of though, is the stability of the boards if I'm going to be attaching kitchen units to them. i.e. aren't the boards at risk of being crushed if the screws on the units are overtightened?

Is boarding the best approach even?

Any replies will be very helpful.

I believe you can still use boards and probably Dot & Dab them, but would make sure you use plenty of drywall adhesive in the areas the units will be fixed to. This will reduce the chance of symptoms you describe.

As to whether it's the best approach - you can probably find some archive posts discussing the merits of boards in the kitchen versus render or an undercoat plaster e.g. hardwall. There are probably differences of opinion.
Insulation is usually one factor also, but with a modern build on this, you probably have a good cavity wall insulated etc.

Sponsored Links
So it will be dot and dab,.........
no problem as the screws will go through the plaster boards and into the blocks.

Andy

Thanks Andy - I was planning and dotting and dabbing but was concerned the screws might pull in too far and break the plasterboard.

Try applying beads of adhesive in continuous vertical lines at 300mm centres then tamp boards back as tightly as possible giving you a solid bed behind boards on which you can fix anything too as well as feeling like a solid wall.

You could always baton areas you are to fix the unit in the same manner you would when using gypframe. Add support and good fixing area.

I have found that if you screw through to block too tight the board does give when fixing units and filling with tins etc.

Worth planning out.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back