Plastering a previously damp wall (from a leak not rising damp)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We've got a ground floor wall, vinyl paper covering, I did think it had a problem with rising damp. I've now discovered the concealed toilet cistern on the other side has been leaking for some years when flushed. The Wall is now drying out.

The question is can it just be skimmed over and repainted? Or will it need to be taken to brick. the Plaster is pretty sound. Half of the wall is stud partition, half is a solid wall. I'm likely going to reboard the part which is stud as years of water going into it can't be much good. The brick portion of the wall, the plaster is sound.

Many thanks!

Sponsored Links
wait till it's dry, then see if it falls off or is loose or crumbly. If not, leave it. You might get efflorescence until fully dry, which you can brush off. Decorate it with Dulux Trade Supermatt which is non-vinyl and porous and looks decent while drying out. It is not as durable as a vinyl, but you can decorate properly next year.

If you do knock off the plaster, the exposed brick will dry quicker. You can put an ordinary fan to blow across the surface, this speeds evaporation. Ventilate the room as well.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back