Plastering advice desperately needed!!!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have an old flat in Edinburgh and have had the pleasure of removing woodchip wallpaper. The walls are in good condition, however, there are some small and some larer chips due to the extensive hacking that has been going on. Also, a door had been filled in and there was a shadow of the outline of the door visible through the woodchip. Anyway, I had my first plasterers come around last night to have a look and I asked about my concern regarding the thickness of the plaster after skimming and how that relates to the thickness of the skirting and the coving, and they said that the plaster would cover some of the top of the skirting. Is this normal practice as I have not had any experience of this kind of thing. Do you have to take off the skirting boards to do any kind of plastering, even if it is only skimming? Some wise guy has fitted all the power sockets into the skirting boards which I have discovered is lazy and not how it is supposed to be done. Anyway, I would very much appreciate any advice on the matter. Thanks very much. Gordon

Sponsored Links
gordon_mc said:
Some wise guy has fitted all the power sockets into the skirting boards which I have discovered is lazy and not how it is supposed to be done.

I would say do a little more work to bring the room upto date as this is the ideal time to do it. Remove the skirtings and have the sockets chased into the walls above the skirtings. Then the plasterer can do some make good on the chases, skim the whole room then you can refit some nice new skiriting.

If all you want is a quick "tart up" then simply allow the plasterer to skim as advised, i.e., leave skirtings in place but obviously the walls will be 3-5mm thicker after so will reduce the distance between skirting tops and door frames.

as eric said what you do now will have a huge result on the final outcome...rip off those old skirtings and chase the elec cables into the walls with new sockets and get the plasterer to skim the whole wall to the floor....pop on your new skirtings and sockets and voila...a coat of paint and it looks fantastic...wont cost u much either if u buy your sockets in bulk from screwfix and get your skirting from a local timber merchant...

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back