Plastered

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I’d be grateful for some plastering advice.

I’m redecorating a bedroom & will be replacing skirting boards, door skirting (not sure what this is actually called, hope you know what I mean?) & have stripped the wallpaper back to the original plaster.

Unfortunately, I used a steam wallpaper stripper on a couple of walls. Not only was this most effective at taking the paper off, it also took of the plaster as well, down to the rendering.

The plaster itself, pink in colour, varied from a couple of mm to about a cm in thickness, so I assume this was a skimmed coat, albeit a thick one in places. I’ve got three patches that need plastering, of varying sizes. One goes up to the door & another down to the skirting.

My questions….

-Should I plaster before I fix the skirting, door skirting or the other way around ?

- I’ve removed all loose plaster & have applied a dilute mix of PVA to the rendering, which was pretty dusty & porous. Should I apply one coat of plaster or several to build up the layers ? I’ll be painting afterwards, not papering so hope to make it look reasonably decent.

- I’ve blocked off a panel above the door with a small piece of plasterboard. This isn’t flush with the surface so I was planning to give this a skimmed coat of plaster. Do I need to prepare the surface or just slap it on ?

- Should I bang the new skirting board into place with nails or glue it ? The rendering seems pretty dry & I’m concerned it’ll just break up if I nail into it ?

Thanks for your advice ! This post turned out longer than I expected.

TP

Sponsored Links
patince is a virtue and if you are plastering you will need plenty of it. From the sound of it you are going to need to use a coat of bonding plaster first on the walls to bring them out and then a finish coat. Fix the skirtings after and the door skirting you are refering to is called architrave. Again fix this second. Once the plastering has been done then you can fix the skirting using a number of methods. If the surface is good and level then gripfill can be used. If it is not then i always plug and screw. Nails are a waste of time unless you are going into timber. Cut nails are never firm enough and usually end up splitting the wood as you try to get a decent fixing.
There are others who are better versed in the art of plastering and will no doubt help you here. Please remeber that many of us work during the day carrying out this sort of work so you are likely to get some guidance during the evening. Hope it gives you some ideas to mull over.

Thermo

Sponsored Links
If you need to dub out areas ( fill dips in wall) then if using bonding skim over when it is gone off enough to allow you to do so ...certainly the same day, if left it will be difficult to skim cus it wil be too dry.
When patching try not to lay on the skim like butter 3mm is plenty and try to feather in the edges of the plastered areas using a wet brush and your trowell. if skimming over plasterboards then no other preperation needed than to skrim tape over the joints to avoid cracking.
Go easy with the uni /feb bond if you end up sloshing it onto surfaces that are not plastered over then it is a pig to paint over ...it shows through.
Just ensure the area to be patched is well wet down and the surounding area also with water and you wont go wrong... the rest my friend relies entirely on your abillity as a spread!!

Good Luck

Legs/Robbo. :D

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back