Plastering an area of 1/2 a meter, please help

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
First time using a forum, I hope this works. Removed wall paper and the wall under was purple as I touched it, it sounded like more paper so I tapped and a big chunk of plaster came off, mmmm I carried on until it all came off. Now I need to plaster it back! But I don't know what the exposed wall is made off? I mean, it looks grey, could it be cement?
The whole room has this very thin layer of plaster, it was built in 1966, could someone please tell me how to fix this, plus what tools, and materials, or what website for DIY novice, or a video or book! Any help will be of great value, Thank you ;)

Sponsored Links
Katipo said:
But I don't know what the exposed wall is made off? I mean, it looks grey, could it be cement?

That'll be render I expect, which is a mix of sand and cement. In order to replaster, you'll need as a minimum these tools/aids:

bucket
plastering trowel
bit of wood to knock up
a big flat board on which to pour the plaster onto to work from
container (ideally another bucket) of water to keep tools clean as you go

But ideally, you'd want a hawk and a gauging trowel as well.

Assuming it's a normal sized wall, one 25kg bag of finish plaster will be more than enough. Will cost about a fiver or less depending on where you buy it.

You should first brush the wall down, making sure all loose bits come away, then seal the wall using PVA 1:5 water solution. Give it at least a couple of coats. You'll not need much PVA, so buy the most economical one you can find.

Fill the bucket about halfway with water, then add plaster, continually stirring, until you get the right consistency. Unfortunately, it's hard to relate what that is like this way. It should be viscous enough that it doesn't slop everywhere as you work with it, but not so much that you don't have enough time to work with it.

Once it's knocked up, pour a load onto your board, then using your plastering trowel you apply the first coat to the wall. Don't worry about it being neat, just make sure you get a fairly even spread across the whole wall. Wait a short while for it to go off a little, smooth it out a bit, then apply your second coat. Once that's done, you trowel off ie: smooth it out and get as perfect as possible a finish. Pay particular attention to the edges.

Once you've done that, immediately remove all snots from the ceiling/skirting/adjacent walls, and throughly clean your tools.

There's a cartload of stuff I should be telling you, but I'm probably going to forget a lot of it. With regards to the actual plastering, when trowelling off you'll have to discover the knack of making passing motions without digging into the plaster with the corners, or moving too slowly and letting the trowel get stuck, which means when you remove it you end up taking a chunk of plaster with you.

As you're trowelling off, make sure you keep using your water to keep your trowel clean. As it's your first time you'll be working too slow, and so as you trowel off you'll find the plaster hardening faster than you would like. In order to overcome this, sprinkle a bit of water onto the problem areas, ideally have an old paintbrush which you can use for this.

I could add a few more paragraphs but I'm afraid I'm out of time (got to get ready to go out), but even if I could mention everything I can think of, I strongly recommend you read a book on it, or even better if you know someone who can plaster, try to get them to come round and advise/teach you (don't just ask them to do it though - take advantage of their knowledge, and learn how to do it yourself so you can do it in the future.)

Good luck! :)

/Damn, just noticed it's only a small section of the wall...well what I said above still applies, and one bag will definitely be enough. Don't mix up as much as I said though, or you'll end up with far too much plaster for the job.

Personally, I'd do the whole wall though. Sounds like it could do with a new coat, but seeing as it will be your first time perhaps you should just deal with that area so it's easier for you.

Hi, oh! thank you so much for reply!, thought this forum thing would not work. I also hope my reply reaches you.

I have been reading upon subject and need to ask a few more questions please. Biggest patch is 3' by 2'. The thickness of what has fallen off is about 2 to 2.5mm. On the wall that I took wall paper off clean, there is like a very thin film of paint. So now I have three surfaces, 1 with the grey brick or rendering as you called it, 2 plaster, 3 a thin film of white paint over the good plaster. Should I do all the wall, or just patches, (which are a little, everywhere) and if I do whole wall, I understand you fix to long bits of wood to help you level the plaster but would I be putting back on walls a 2 to 2.5mm plaster or should I go deeper? as I wandered, if it is easy to get a batten, as thin as 2 to 3mm? And what do I do with that thin layer of paint? sand it down? Sorry, :oops: I know my question are disorganized as is my room and thoughts. :cry: Hope you can organize the steps and options more, ;) please, and Thanking you in advance :D

Hello, sorry it has taken so long to reply, and I hope it is not too late. I lost my internet connection for a few weeks because I changed ISPs. :(

I think the paint you found would be an oil-based gloss, which is used as a quick fix to cover areas with minor damp problems. Assuming you can't see any sign of damp, I suggest you just leave the paint as it is, but sand it down a tad so you have a rougher surface which would be better for the plaster to adhere to.

I never use wood like that when I plaster, and have never seen anyone else do it, but if you want to do it then I see no reason not to. I've never seen a batten anywhere near that thin, but in principle I see no reason why you couldn't make one with the right machinery. You might be able to buy one already made or have one cut to requirements, in a timber yard or buiders merchant.

This is what I would do:

1. Examine the wall for signs of damp. If signs found, then you'd have the whole new job of trying to sort it out, which is not something I know about really. If none found, then gently sand the paint a little bit, but leave it there in case it is taking care of a minor on-going damp problem.

2. Examine with your hands, and remove anything lose or flaky. Gently tap the plaster that's already there to see what condition it's in and how well it is stuck to the wall. Brush down the area to be plastered to remove any small debris missed by your hands, and then use the PVA solution on it.

3. Apply the plaster, paying special attention to the recessed parts on the first coat i.e. get more plaster into those bits. On the second coat, when you are making the finishing touches, put your face on the wall nearby and make sure it's reasonably flush with the rest of the wall.

4. When the plaster is dry, fill and sand as appropriate, so you have a nice smooth surface to paint or wallpaper.

As to whether or not you should do all the wall, by the sounds of it yes, but seeing as you haven't plastered before I think you would be better off just making good the patches.

I'll check back here every day or two for the next couple of weeks to see if you have anymore questions. :)

Sponsored Links
Deadly Ferret, hi, I have to thank you for your help, I had problems with my computer too and this is why I am thanking you so late, hope this will get to you (I still don't know how to reply directly if there is such a thing). And don't know what quote is, so just replying here six months later :cry:
Anyway all went fantastic and great advise from you, thanks again. :D

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back