Plastering and plasterboard joints

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My father is a time served brickie and plasterer leaving the trade in the late 70's. I get him to do a bot of work for me from time to time. I want him to plaster a platerboard wall over stud.

He tells me to get scrim cloth to put over the joints between the sheets of plasterboard. Do they still use the stuff today or do they just plaster directly onto the joints?

Sponsored Links
He tells me to get scrim cloth to put over the joints between the sheets of plasterboard. Do they still use the stuff today or do they just plaster directly onto the joints?

yes they use it and no they dont it will crack ;)

my old man was a brickie as well :LOL:

Scrim cloth is still available but much better to use the modern alternative; self adhesive glass fibre reinforcing tape.

jute scrim was one of the strongest jointing materials money could buy. the modern self adhesive version is very quick to apply and is adequate for the job.

Sponsored Links
Jute=a tap from Bristan ;) things change .........and I re boarded a ceiling here @ home because the jute didn`t stop the cracking where the board had missed the joist :evil:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back