plasterboarding

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've removed an old wood panelled wall in our living room and left the batons on the wall that the wood panellingwas fixed to. I will be platerboarding the wall with 2 foot x 4 foot sheets of plasterboard and will be attaching the sheets to the wall vertically instead of horizontally.

My father will be doing the plastering but he seems to think that the plasterboard sheets have to be laid horizontally with the 4 foot side running across the wall instead of up and down. He thinks this just because it's always the way it was done when he worked in the building trade.

I'm gonna attach them my way or is he actually talking about something? I suspect not but let me know

Sponsored Links
the bound edges of the plasterboard go across the timbers and not along them.

The batons on the wall are running across the wall. The plasterboard will be running with the long side down the wall. So what you said will be the way the sheets will end up on the wall.

Sponsored Links
sannesley said:
What kind of angle bead would be suitable for an interior plasterboard wall?

these,
bead.jpg
they're called board beads or thin set beads.

sannesley said:
I've removed an old wood panelled wall in our living room and left the batons on the wall that the wood panellingwas fixed to. I will be platerboarding the wall with 2 foot x 4 foot sheets of plasterboard and will be attaching the sheets to the wall vertically instead of horizontally.

My father will be doing the plastering but he seems to think that the plasterboard sheets have to be laid horizontally with the 4 foot side running across the wall instead of up and down. He thinks this just because it's always the way it was done when he worked in the building trade.

I'm gonna attach them my way or is he actually talking about something? I suspect not but let me know

Your dad is right in a way, lets say your studs are abit bent putting the boards your way will hi-light the studs being bent more then if you put them horizontally, doing them your dads way ( if studs are not true )will be less noticable once plasted, and less wasted if battons are set corrected, but having said that if it ewas for panneling then they might not be for plaster boards. ;)

ps Did you mean 3x4 p/b's

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back