Plastering gloss painted kitchen ceiling

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

Our kitchen ceiling is gloss painted, greasy and horrid and I'm going to get a plaster in to skim it as it's an art that I've never had the patience to attempt to master :LOL:

Is there anything I can do in preparation though before the pro arrives as I've read that it's not a good idea to skim glossed surfaces?

Thanks in advance

Sponsored Links
it might be easier and quicker to board straight over and skim, this way its guaranteed to stick theres no need to prep and extra fire protection and sound insulation.

Thanks jbonding.

Any particular type of board (thickness etc) and are the boards simply nailed on top or would it be good to use something like no more nails also.

Presumably, once the new boards are up the gaps would be sealed with scrim?

9.5mm plasterboard with plasterboards screws and positioned so that they are staggered like brickwork pattern then use self-adhesive mesh tape to cover plasterboard joints. The hardest bit is to find the ceiling joists. Use something like a old screwdriver to poke through the old ceiling to find each edge of the joists and becareful for any hidden wires etc. I use a chalk line for the centre of the joists once known the position of the joists. You may also find a smaller sheet of plasterboard is easier to handle.

Sponsored Links
Thanks masona.

I think you're right about fitting smaller sheets ... I tried to pick up a large sheet today ... WOWSERS!

How many people does it take to fit these big sheets, they weigh a ton :LOL:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back