Plastering kitchen - what type?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, am renovating fully my kitchen. I've had the roof replaced and new lead flashing as its a lean to kitchen with a pitched roof.
Its a single brick wall construction with a stone floor.
The plans are over new year to get walls plastered up and final wiring done.

However, my mate whos helping me do the plastering (we are putting up a wooden frame work and fixing board to frame) says we can use standard tapered edge board, but, according to a guy at the local council is got to be foil backed board for insulation purposes.

As the plaster was entirely blown and most came off during DPC anyway, we elected to frame and board it.

So, what are the official regs? MUST I use foil back or is standard board acceptable?

Sponsored Links
My understanding is that if it’s a renovation of an existing room/extension with no change of use, you don’t have to comply with the regs. I wouldn’t have thought just using foil back would comply with current regs. anyway! I don’t know where your council guy is coming from, did you actually speak to a building inspector?

But why not use foil back, there is a cost difference but it’s not outrageous. I’ve used it on an old flat roof extension & on timber battens fixed to a couple of single skin walls I have here. It acts as a vapour barrier & helps boost the insulation. Along with the insulation I put behind it, has made quiet a difference to what were a couple of rooms that always felt cold before. I wouldn’t use taper edge boards if you planning to skim the whole wall though; use square edge, fill & tape the joins & plaster skim over the lot.

it is best to use foil backed or 'duplex' plasterboards where condensation may be an issue.

any ceiling that is exposed to a roof space is one such situation. ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back