plastering over a painted brick wall?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've got a painted brick wall in an out-house that i want smoothing out. What would be the best method? Ideally i want to put down some kind of leveling base so i can practice plastering/skimming over the top. So far I've had mixed responses about cement rendering on a PVA base. Is this the usual way on brick walls? I don't want to plasterboard it either. What do you guys think?

Sponsored Links
IF it is not subject to damp.

Coat of WBA or Bondit.

24 hours later thin coat of bonding. Then skim after the bondingis set.

PVA (or WBA etc) and reskim again and again to your heart's content!

OUTHOUSE????

1 is it damp proofed.
2 it is un heated.

I would use SBR not PVa as used for outside render, but a bag of K-Rend SBX (fibreglass strands , just add water). as a base coat.

White K-REND FT Silicone which is great to work with and self coloured.
Done for life.

(FBX £18 a bag but does 2-3 mtrs
top coat £8-9 a bag 2 mtrs.

Sponsored Links
It is damp proofed. It is un heated.

Do you mean HPX? I've heard its good. Thanks for your advice. I went for a practice yesterday...

I scraped the wall down so all the loose paint came off then PVA'd (1:3) and rendered whilst it was still wet. The render (1:4) Snowcrete white cement and red plastering sand didn't mix too well and i spent ages mixing it in a bucket to get all the solid little white pieces of cement out. When it went on though it seemed to hold ok. I went back today to check on the area and it is solid. Not sure how long it will last though as it is basically holding on to the paint right?

So here are a few more questions if you don't mind :)

Would it be worth doing a scratch coat first with a 1:4 then another top coat 1:6? Been watching tommystradesecrets on youtube and spoke to the helpline for snowcrete who both suggested doing something like this. I understand the benefit is basically a better grip but in this case isn't it just piling on the weight to the paint coat? Maybe i should just scrape off all the paint and go straight on to the brick? What do you think?

Any tips on mixing the cement in more efficiently? Whats the order of mixing, i.e could i mix the cement in the water, blend it so there are no lumps then add the sand? I don't have a cement mixer either so i'm using a bucket. Wood is available.

Thanks guys you've been a great help so far.

OUTHOUSE????

1 is it damp proofed.
2 it is un heated.

I would use SBR not PVa as used for outside render, but a bag of K-Rend SBX (fibreglass strands , just add water). as a base coat.

White K-REND FT Silicone which is great to work with and self coloured.
Done for life.

(FBX £18 a bag but does 2-3 mtrs
top coat £8-9 a bag 2 mtrs.

Yes, better for an outhouse than PVA

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back