Plastering over wooden window reveals

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
I'm prepping the walls for the plasterer to come skim. Its a lath and plaster house with wood round the corner of windows (see pic).

Plasterer says you can skrim tape them, then place the metal reveals over the top. From what I've gathered online this may lead to cracking

Can anyone confirm if this is the case?

Cheers
IMG_20200304_104358601.jpg

Sponsored Links
screw 9mm gyproc to the wood, ive seen it done with scrim tape but theres a good chance of cracking.

Thanks, be an easy fix to screw board round the inside of the windows but what about the other side? should I board the whole wall or leave it as is?

Took one of the wooden pieces off, a whole lot of plaster and wall came off with it :/ I have about 15 windows and door frames to do :O

Sorry just looked at your pic again, i did not realise it was just a wooden bead, you can tape and bead that no problem, but why dont you remove it?

Sponsored Links
I did remove one of these but there was a fair amount of making good as it took quite a bit of the surrounding plaster with it.

People have said it will still crack after being tapped, maybe not at first but 6 months down the line.

I’ve seen suggestions of using bitumen paint to first seal the wood…if I can’t get a definitive answer then yes I will bite the bullet and remove the lot

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back