Plastering

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Had a fella come rounf today to quote me to replaster the house. He said that after plastering, it would be advisable to put some type of coat (cant remember the name) on the plaster first before painting.

Mentioned this to my decorator and he said the opposite, he said its best to paint straight onto the plaster

Who's right?

Sponsored Links
He was probably talking about Thompson water seal..or something similar..

Dont...

And take the advice of a decorator when talking about paint not a plasterer.

But also a few other people have told me that if you paint straight onto plaster, it will peel off easily after time?

Sponsored Links
on bare plaster i always use 50%/50% matt emulsion to water mix and then use that as a first coat.

next coat i use is polycell basecoat and then the colour after that.

If you paint directly onto new plaster, the plaster is porous (I think) and draws the water out of the pain, causing it to peel.

newcomers said:
But also a few other people have told me that if you paint straight onto plaster, it will peel off easily after time?

Yep it will..

As Sanj says..thin the first coat down..but you cant always do it by 50% it depends on the paint itself, some are thicker than others.

The normal process is..

Mist coat, first coat thinned by about 20% and third coat thinned by about 15%

Thanks a lot

Told this to the decorator and he said its a load of rubbish, and the only reason it would peel is because of poor prep work before plastering. He said he always paints straight onto plaster

Have decided to get another quote :D

Well "newcomers" do alot of searches on DIYnot.com on the Topic of people not thinning thirst coat on new/bare plaster !

Also, DO NOT use any emulsions directly over new/bare plaster that recomend that an Sealer Coat is needed.

brist said:
I would sack the decorator he hasnt a clue :evil:

Already have. Got a slightly higer quote but the fella seems to know what he's talking about, and isnt as rude!!

He's charging me 120 a day, and reckons he'll have the house done in 2-3 weeks. Thats for painting (lounge, dining room, kitchen, hallway, landing and 3 bedrooms) painting mdf skirting boards and arcs. Painting doors and stairs and tarting everything else up. Ive got to provide the paint.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back