Plastic headlight protection coating

Reaction score
Country
France
Hi

I want to protect my headlight fronts from yellowing/fading and am seeking your comments. The only "recommedation "I have come across is from Scotty Kilmer on YT who always praises Meguiar's Keep Clear Headlight Coating which isn't available in French shops: do you have any other suggestions for European products ?

Lights are about five years old and still crystal-clear ( o.e. replacement units )

Sponsored Links
There are spray can coatings on Amazon as mine were yellow. I used WD-40 which cleaned them.

Was a 15 year old van with plastic headlights. I decided not to use any treatment in the end and just keep them clean. I was worried solvent spray coatings may not be a good idea.

I use Meguairs polish, which polishes off the haze. Mine do not go yellow, that's probably old lightbulbs. It is quicker with a buffing or polishing mop. You must cover or protect all paintwork. I have heard of people using other polishes, including toothpaste. Some even use fine grade abrasive paper, which I wouldn't do. A fine metal polish like Solvol might work.

Surely France has an equivalent.

Have you tried French Ebay?

In my personal experience :

WD40 looks good after treatment, up to the point when it rains or you wash the car.
Toothpaste is a waste of both 'paste & effort.

My tame bodywork guy does my old 5 series BMW & the treatment lasts 18months - 2 years, but he won't tell me his trade secret :rolleyes:

Sponsored Links
I polished mine up with toothpaste, out of the car, then sprayed them with the clear coat, they use on top of modern car paintwork. It has so far lasted 4 years, without any deterioration at all.

How much effort and technique needed and what's the make ?

A friend managed to polish out a deep score in plastic with this .Easy to use .

Foxhole - thanks for the tip. I have a couple of cars to do and this looks so much better than struggling with wet and dry etc.

I polished mine up with toothpaste, out of the car, then sprayed them with the clear coat, they use on top of modern car paintwork. It has so far lasted 4 years, without any deterioration at all.

I tried toothpaste with no notable success after some significant effort: how long did it take you ? Did you use anything special such as a smokers toothpaste >

I tried toothpaste with no notable success after some significant effort: how long did it take you ? Did you use anything special such as a smokers toothpaste >

I just used ordinary toothpaste, and spent an hour or so, with a cloth, polishing with the paste.

Or you could just buy a product specifically made for the job, and use a buffing mop.

I don't see why anyone would discount this obvious option.

Or you could just buy a product specifically made for the job, and use a buffing mop.

I don't see why anyone would discount this obvious option.
I don't like the idea of using abrasives - even if very fine - as I fear a foul-up. This is the only method I have seen on YT.

I don't like the idea of using abrasives - even if very fine - as I fear a foul-up. This is the only method I have seen on YT.

Heat build-up, is the enemy of plastics, so if mechanical methods are used - you need to minimise pressure and speed`. All fixes, involve removing the UV damaged surface of the polycarbonate lens. Once polished up, then the surface needs a UV proof coating designed to protect it or it a matter of weeks, it will be as bad again.

Sponsored Links
Back