Plastic headlight protection coating

My other car took more than 15 years to dull the surface of the headlamps.

If you polish them after ten years they should be quite good.

Sponsored Links
My other car took more than 15 years to dull the surface of the headlamps.

If you polish them after ten years they should be quite good.

Wrong! From the factory, the polycarbonate has a protective coating. The coating wears away in time and exposure. Polishing removes the last of that coating, so once polished, they remain clear, for just a few weeks. The only fix, is to re-coat the surface, with a UV protection film of some sort.

Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.
Sponsored Links
Wrong! From the factory, the polycarbonate has a protective coating. The coating wears away in time and exposure. Polishing removes the last of that coating, so once polished, they remain clear, for just a few weeks. The only fix, is to re-coat the surface, with a UV protection film of some sort.

"Polysiloxanes" tend to be the original manufacturers' coatings. (Also used on spectacles with "coated" plastic lenses). They can't really be applied by hand, though. Best we can do, is use UV-resistant aftermarket polishes like the stuff JohnD linked to.

https://www.sono-tek.com/industry/g...coatings/?utm_source=google-ads&utm_campaign={campaignname}&utm_agid=21225930248&utm_term=hard%20coating&utm_source=google-ads&utm_campaign=&utm_agid=21225930248&utm_term=hard%20coating&gad_source=1&gclid=CjwKCAjwoa2xBhACEiwA1sb1BB4ohWGOfg5OytPOedoNJdcpeWXJpht8eilI3r1Oo4rcn3UEBZ75YBoCxjIQAvD_BwE

And I think (but am not certain), that most manufacturers use impact-modified acrylics rather than polycarbonates as the underlying plastics.

Back