plastic or copper for cold water supply inside of the house

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Dear everyone, I am going to update the pipe inside of the house build in 1939. There are lead pipes for washing water. I have to replace all the lead pipes. Which option is better? Plastic pipes or copper pipes for only the cold water supply? There is the speedfit products which may be easy to fit then the copper pipes. I worried if the plastic is going to last long.

Any experience or suggestions are warmly welcomed.

Sponsored Links
Copper, copper, copper!!! tried and tested for years and years, thats all i use, dont get me wrong the plastic fittings get you out of trouble on the odd occasion, however i've seen them go horribly wrong!

Dinosaurs!
I bet the blokes who taught you were "Lead, lead lead! Tried and tested for years." kinda guys when anyone asked them "What's best, copper or lead?" :LOL:

Sponsored Links
charn copper beats lead as does not damage the water
copper beats plastic as mice don`t not eat
you can find it with metal detector in a wall
and can be flushed unlike copper

there's a number of a reasons:

doesn't need as many fittings so you get better flow
Doesn't scale up as much as copper
Its cheaper
Its more forgiving in terms of piping arrangement
Its much easier to modify later on.

The only place I would have copper is anywhere where pipework is on show or where you have an intricate pipework arrangement e.g. an airing cupboard.

Other than that I would go in plastic any day of the week.

arh don`t get scale in my area
and don`t have to alter that much once done
yes plastic is better for amateur
but i am not
flow rate not really that big an issue

What could go horribly wrong with plastic pipe only for cold water supply? I would like to have the job done perfectly and the pipes will last long time.

but i am not

there's a number of a reasons:

doesn't need as many fittings so you get better flow
Doesn't scale up as much as copper
Its cheaper
Its more forgiving in terms of piping arrangement
Its much easier to modify later on.

The only place I would have copper is anywhere where pipework is on show or where you have an intricate pipework arrangement e.g. an airing cupboard.

Other than that I would go in plastic any day of the week.

jeez chartered
certified might be a better way of putting it :rolleyes:

What could go horribly wrong with plastic pipe only for cold water supply? I would like to have the job done perfectly and the pipes will last long time.

but i am not
mice eat plastic

I have to go with the copper pipe in case the mice eat all the plastic pipes. By the way, do mice eat the drain plastic as well? As far as I know, all drain pipes are plastic now. I start to worry the PVC drain will be disappered one day.

mice eat plastic[/quote]

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back