Plastic sheeting under gravel patio/path - bad idea?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We moved into our current house a couple of years ago. The area directly in front of the house was gravel, with blue plastic sheeting underneath.
Looked OK when we moved in - doesn't now. Lots of patches of blue plastic which aren't very appealing.

So, first question would be how to sort this out. I've seen you can get plastic gravel stablising grids, which look like they would do the job of holding the gravel in place a lot better.
If I go this route what do I do to stop weeds popping up everywhere?

Second question is how bad for the house is having plastic sheeting running right up to the walls? Given that it won't have been fitted "professionally", i.e. it could be sloping down towards the walls.
This suddenly occurred to me today and seems a possible contributor to a few damp problems we've had....

Any comments / suggestions greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Chris

Sponsored Links
Sounds like some numpty used DPM, its no good as non porous.

You need a weed control fabric, im not sure if its best to use geotextile like terram or the black woven stuff.....

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back