Plastic to metal or metal to plastic

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I'm fitting a new radiator / towel warmer in the bathroom. My existing central heating is plastic pipework but I want to have the visible rising pipes in chrome. My question is this, when connecting the pipes should I connect the chrome pipe into a plastic elbow bend or should I fit a metal elbow and have the plastic connected into this? Or does it make any difference anyway?

Thanks

B2W

Sponsored Links
It's easier to do using a brass compression elbow, as then you can get away with not removing the chrome. Some say you should remove it, but I've left it on, and they have been fine

Sponsored Links
Chrome into plastic is a no go the grab rings will not hold on chrome pipe. Trying to remove the chrome is a difficult job, chances are the pipe will not be ideal for sealing with the o ring in a plastic fitting afterwards.

Either as said go to copper comp and then to plastic with normal tube (but that's a bit clunky) or use normal tube straight into the plastic and use chrome effect sleeves.

http://www.wickes.co.uk/radiator-pipe-sleeves-chrome-pk10/invt/425087/

Might sound a bit naff but in fact they work quite well cheaper than a length of chrome tube and are easy to replace if they ever get damaged.

Most DIY stores sell them and you can get up to 2 ft or so long ones if required.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back