Plastic Waste pipe sizes - help needed

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm renovating a bathroom in a 1930s bungalow. The basin waste (which disappears into and under the house) is white plastic and 1.45" in diameter.

I'm assuming this is the old 1.5" plastic pipe. Can you get adaptors to 32mm or 40mm, and at that size is it likely to be old push fit or old solvent?

I know there's a difference between solvent and push fit sizes for the current mm sizes.

Many thanks

Sponsored Links
The original waste would have been copper, steel or lead I imagine. Try a compression waste fitting, if this fits the old pipe then you can change to whichever type you prefer after it. AFAIK the sizes haven't changed, so the modern equivalent should fit. Solvent is a standard size, whereas the pushfit does vary between manufacturers. (Solvent and pushfit are not compatible, so unless you know which type it is, compression may be the answer.)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back