Plastic wing nut for toilet

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
2600DCC4-FD54-4703-BE4E-C325E82A8BDF.jpeg
Hi

Need to replace toilet seat. One of the fixing wing nuts loosens easily, but other one (pictured) can’t shift with spanner pliers.

What would you suggest?

Which way would but turn? (Towards or away from toilet?)

Many thanks.

Sponsored Links
Well it starts turning away from the pan but then turns toward the pan :ROFLMAO:

Undo by turning clockwise (that`s looking up from floor level)

Or practice with an empty bottle. (y)

Hi again

Thanks

Nut is stuck and impossible to move with hand pressure. It’s also stuck in the worst possible position, so when you get pliers around it, the enamel of the toilet prevents you turning it.

You couldn’t make it up

Sponsored Links
Ok. Don’t think I have one of those, or hacksaw small enough.

Thanks anyway.

4-inch adjustable wrench?

or a Dremel or multicutter

BTW I bought some stainless wingnuts, washers and coachbolts to avoid a recurrence. I think the standard size is M8 x 50mm but measure your old one. As they last for ever just buy a few and use them as and when the seats need changing.

you have to lube the threads of stainless or it can still seize, proper stainless antiseize is a bit expensive but if you have any brake grease, such as ceramic, that will do. Lanolin used to be factory applied in the early days.

I use a lot of stainless in the garden and on vehicles. Coastal location.

Thanks All

Managed to shift it with hammer and screwdriver pointed at end of wing nut

Next embarrassing problem is fitting new seat. Got to point where you have to somehow use a spanner to tighten a plastic nut, which somehow then squashes flush with seat. Is that right??

Thanks again.

91159A71-411F-4DDD-90C7-FC9B730E6DED.jpeg

F62F2EFD-5536-4C85-A03C-7C38A2F9D31A.jpeg

DC064D4E-2289-40CE-ACE2-FB145FE9F0BC.jpeg

Nope. Just spins round and round. I’ve never, ever seen anything like this before. Manufacturer is Bemis. Don’t suppose anyone has encounters this before? Feel like taking it back.

Thanks

This is going my head in. No way I can get screw head to “snap off” with spanner. I suppose I could try and cut it with a hacksaw, but can’t figure out what you do with either the top section or the bottom section. Not clear from the lousy instructions.

Thanks

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back