Plastic...

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Can someone please help...My radiator valve is leaking ...
How do I stop the leak from this type of valve....
20230926_100827.jpg

Sponsored Links
Which bit is leaking, the bottom piece with the plastic pipe, the compression fitting on the left or the tail into the radiator?

Where is it leaking from? If it's the top left nut then back the nut off a 1/4 turn and then re-tighten. Don't just try to wrack the nut up tighter as you can cause damage to the pipe/olive. If it's at the radiator body where the rad tail enters, then again loosen the valve nut and nip the tail up half a turn. If it's from the bottom of the valve, not a lot to do as it's push fit, normally it would be a new valve. If it's under the plastic cap then screwdriver out, take the cap off and if you're lucky you'll find a nut (gland) where the valve spindle drops through into the valve body, again back that off a 1/6th of a turn and nip it back up.

Thanks for your reply....
It's weeping from the bottom....Will this mean i have to drain the system down and fit a new valve?

Sponsored Links
It's weeping from the bottom....Will this mean i have to drain the system down and fit a new valve?

Which bit is leaking, the bottom piece with the plastic pipe, the compression fitting on the left or the tail into the radiator?
Thanks.It's weeping from the bottom....Will this mean i have to drain the system down and fit a new valve?

If the leak is where the pipe goes into the bottom of the valve, then yes you would. Are you certain it isn't leaking from under the white cap ,and finding its way down , misleading you ?

If the leak is where the pipe goes into the bottom of the valve, then yes you would. Are you certain it isn't leaking from under the white cap ,and finding its way down , misleading you ?
Hiya...I've taken the white top off....its definitely leaking from the bottom....stops leaking when I turn the heating on.

Not necessarily a new valve if it's the pipe straining going in or missing a pipe insert

Is the pipe fully inserted into the valve ? Try pulling it upwards into the valve ,it's probably not going to make any difference but worth checking before draining down.

Have you tried to push the pipe slightly further in to the fitting?

I am not a plumber but I recently had a customer that had two mains water leaks after HEP20 fittings blew apart 5 years after having been installed.

The consensus from plumbers here was that the pipe hadn't originally been pushed in far enough.

Hiya....The valve that is leaking has a copper pipe going into the valve....
Sorry, just looks like plastic with the name of the thread too :unsure:. As per others make sure it's fully inserted and if you drain down and replace make sure the pipe is clean from any paint etc

I can't tell from the pic, but if the pipe is plastic, then it's a 3 min repair.
Close valve opposite leaking valve.
Put squeeze off tool on offending pipe, remove leaking valve, and replace with new.
Job done.

I can't tell from the pic, but if the pipe is plastic, then it's a 3 min repair.
Close valve opposite leaking valve.
Put squeeze off tool on offending pipe, remove leaking valve, and replace with new.
Job done.
Its copper pipe , apparently.
Hiya....The valve that is leaking has a copper pipe going into the valve....

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back