plate heat exchanger trouble removing screws

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there ,
I recently run into trouble while trying to remove a plate head exchanger from a Baxi duo tec 33 he. I had removed this successfully in the past to clean around 2 years ago as it was blocked with dirty inside I did a nice cleaning put it back in place and hot water start to work consistently again. Yesterday I tried to have this removed again as one of the showers was not getting enought hot water, but the head of the 2 screws from the heat exchanging plate that holds it in place got completely worn out when I use a hand screw driver. I was surprise how these screws got worn out so easily! Now I got no grip at all to use any screw driver as the screw head is completely gone. These screw are also flash inside the boiler so there is not room at all for me to remove this using any pliers or any other type of tool that I can think of. I am wondering if anyone would have any suggestion in how to remove these screws? And if I manage to do so I will definetly need new replacement screws as these are completely useless now. Photo attached.

Attachments

• IMG_20160604_141447018.jpg
    IMG_20160604_141447018.jpg
    86.6 KB · Views: 564
  • IMG_20160604_141619327.jpg
    IMG_20160604_141619327.jpg
    220.3 KB · Views: 585
Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Screw extractor is a possible option. Obtain replacements before removing the existing ones.

Screws get destroyed like that when people use the wrong type or size of screwdriver. Using a Pozi driver on a Philips head will destroy it very quickly.

Sponsored Links
Drill the heads then remove the plate. You can then remove the threaded part of the screw.

petit_pablo. That was exactly what I thought to do but I am still in doubt between do that or use a screw extractor. If I do what you sugest there are 2 considerations:

1- I assume that the screw thread is only at the half end of the screw at the plate heat exchanging. If that is the case is fine but if the thread is all along the screw I will not be able to have it removed. I believe the thread is just at the end of the screw but I am not sure.

2- I have removed the heath exchange plate in this boiler before. The heath exchange has to come out at back and then at the right side of the boiler a very narrow space. If the screws would still in the plate I am not sure if the heath exchange plate will pass trough the boiler in order for me to get it out.

I will definetly try to outsorce a bettar quality replacement screw perhaps allen screws. These were PH2 screw. I was using the right screw driver but perhaps it was my mystake 2 years ago if I have overtightened the screws.
Yes I want to buy a replacement screws but again it is a challenge to outsoure the right screws without have these ones in my hand to take the meassurements as I find nowhere what screws these is supposed to be.

Last edited:
You only have yourself to blame for mauling those screws...
As I said before I was very surprise how easily this happened and I don’t think this is uncommon I didn't put a lot of force. As with everything these days manufacturer cutting costs at all ends. Put good quality screws and this would not have happened. I am quite experient in all types of manual works and I will eventually have it removed but I am always humble enough listen to others people experience.

Drill the heads then remove the plate. You can then remove the threaded part of the screw.
petit_pablo. That was exactly what I thought to do but I am still in doubt between do that or use a screw extractor. If I do what you sugest there are 2 considerations:

1- I assume that the screw thread is only at the half end of the screw at the plate heat exchanging. If that is the case is fine but if the thread is all along the screw I will not be able to have it removed. I believe the thread is just at the end of the screw but I am not sure.

2- I have removed the heath exchange plate in this boiler before. The heath exchange has to come out at back and then at the right side of the boiler a very narrow space. If the screws would still in the plate I am not sure if the heath exchange plate will pass trough the boiler in order for me to get it out.

I will definetly try to outsorce a bettar quality replacement screw perhaps allen screws. These were PH2 screw. I was using the right screw driver but perhaps it was my mystake 2 years ago if I have overtightened the screws.
Yes I want to buy a replacement screws but again it is a challenge to outsoure the right screws without have these ones in my hand to take the meassurements as I find nowhere what screws these is supposed to be.

Read more: //www.diynot.com/diy/threads/plate-heat-exchanger-trouble-removing-screws.460625/#ixzz4AeDmYQ8g

fook me did you try using drill . your next step is to use screw extractor i expect or as pablo has said

Screw extractor is a possible option. Obtain replacements before removing the existing ones.

Screws get destroyed like that when people use the wrong type or size of screwdriver. Using a Pozi driver on a Philips head will destroy it very quickly.
I am very inclined to try this option first

does anyone know how can I figured it out the meassureaments from these screws before I have it removed?

Is this a job you are competently qualified to carry out?
yes i am

In that case why are you in this position now? Had you used the correct tool the first time you took the plate out, then you would not have had a problem this time around. Don't blame the manufacturer and the quality of the screw.
Get a screw extractor on what remains of the head and have some new screws on standby.

Is this a job you are competently qualified to carry out?
yes i am

In that case why are you in this position now? Had you used the correct tool the first time you took the plate out, then you would not have had a problem this time around. Don't blame the manufacturer and the quality of the screw.
Get a screw extractor on what remains of the head and have some new screws on standby.
Ok. thanks. What do you mean with standby? any place online where I can find these screws meassurements anyone?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back