Platinnum combi HE air lock in central heating

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have drained out 1.5 L of nice clean fluid from the lowest pont in my central heating system with the idea of inserting 1L of Sintinel X100 into the topmost radiator. Well, all I have now is a 1.5L air bubble (somewhere) and the top radiator is still full of water! The system won't start because the boiler says the pressure is too low.

Can I re-pressurise the system and run it with that huge bubble in it in the hope that I will then get a space at the top radiator to put in the sentinel. Or will that bubble cause a problem with the pump or the burner?

Help will be appriciated - it's cold here :)

morris

Sponsored Links
fill the system back upto just over 1 bar and let it circulate and the air should find its way out either through the auto air vent or at the top of the rads then bleed them

Many thanks for your reply, it is all working now and I'll get a "real man" in to do it :)

Sponsored Links
Hi again, with all the radiator bleed valves closed and no leaks, when I opened the tap at the bottom point of the system it was perfectly happy to vent water because of the pressurised system. The system was still pressurised after I had vented 1.5L of water (0.7bar) so, I would guess that there was either a contracting of all pipes or a vacuum was left behind. Either way, not air.

Now it is re-pressurised all seems to be quite normal. Radiators hot top to bottom no gurgling noises etc.

morris

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back