playing burnt dvd on any dvd player or computer

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
i camcoreded our holiday,transfered it to the computer,then burnt it to a dvd, plays back on computer ok, but won't play back on the dvd player. have i to do something else for it to play on a dvd player?

Sponsored Links
Have a look at the instructions for your DVD authoring software. Make sure you are following the correct procedure for making a DVD movie disc.

Also check your player and have a Google online to see if others have found it works better with one disc format over another.

Could be , your DVD rewriter is set to the wrong region.. ;) ;)

I have three players able to play a DVD and each one has a different list list of formats that they can handle.
My parents DVD player will only handle -R and will not work with +R discs.
One will play MPEG, the other AVI. Two have USB sockets the other has firewire.
One has LAN connection and will play BBC iPlayer films. The one with built in hard drive needs discs to be finalised before they will play on the other two players.
And one will also play Blu-ray discs.
VCD's will also only play one selected DVD players, sure the Blu-ray player will not play them even though most expensive of the three.
It is the same with computer DVD players, RAM discs seem only to work with selected few players.
I seem to remember Nero has a special function to produce a DVD to play on most DVD players but with mine it is not required.

File format Extensions with Blu-ray player. Sony
MPEG-1 Video/PS*1*5
MPEG-2 Video/PS,
TS*1*6
“.mpg,” “.mpeg,”
“.m2ts,” “.mts”
DivX*2 “.avi,” “.divx”
MPEG-4 AVC*1*5 “.mkv,” “.mp4,”
“.m4v,” “.m2ts,”
“.mts”
WMV9*1*5 “.wmv,” “.asf”
AVCHD*5 *3

The Philips Video Playback with DVD recorder with hard drive says:-
• Disc Playback Media: CD, CD-R/CD-RW, DVD,
DVD-Video, DVD+R, DVD+RW, DVD-R,
DVD-RW, MP3-CD, Video CD, SVCD
• Compression formats: MPEG2, MPEG1, DivX
• Video disc playback system: PAL, NTSC

The Panasonic WMA, MP3, MPEG4 and DivX

I have noted re-recordable discs DVD-RW will play on Panasonic without finalizing but the DVD-R needs finalizing.

The Panasonic lists:-
Discs that cannot be played
DVD-RW version 1.0, DVD-Audio, DVD-ROM, CD-ROM,
CDV, CD-G, SACD, Photo CD, DVD-RAM that cannot be
removed from their cartridge, 2.6-GB and 5.2-GB DVDRAM,
and “Chaoji VCD” available on the market including
CVD, DVCD and SVCD that do not conform to IEC62107.

I have found the best way to convert my Mini DV video camera output to DVD is with firewire direct into the Philips DVD recorder on to it's hard drive first so I can split into tracks, blank out bad bits, name and put in 5 minute markers. It is in some ways a pain having to do it all in real time as my camera is a digital tape 10Gb per tape. But into the PC there is not as many options. With Philips DVD writer I can put at best quality 1 hour of video and at lowest 8 hours of video the latter is about same quality as a VCR. Although the computer does have with Nero some options as to quality it does not match stand alone unit.

I bought it cheap when Freeview came out as it does not have Freeview. It cost me £80 brand new and has 80GB hard drive. Now about 5 years old. Although in theory the PC is second best to proper computer (MAC) for video work in practice the standalone units seem much better. Maybe as most run on Linux?

I did try Linux but every time something minor went wrong to find some one who could fix it was a real pain. So I returned to Microsoft.

Sponsored Links
What files do you have on the DVD?
You should see a VIDEO_TS folder and then lots of files within it. If you dont have that then its not a proper video DVD so all the computer is doing is playing the files of a data disc which a lot of DVD players wont do.
You need to make sure its properly authered into a DVD. I tend to use a program called ConvertXtoDVD which works very well.

As already posted I would say:

1. Make sure burnt as a proper dvd (Video_TS folder present and data in there)

2. Try different types of 'media' (brands DVD blanks) some players like certain brands more than others.

3. Make sure session is finalised - Otherwise prob will only play on PC.

4. Write at a slower speed to see if it improves things - Can make a big difference especially on older dvd players.

5. And my personal choice - Get one of these:
http://www.ebuyer.com/product/242215

You can then simply copy the file to a memory stick then put in that and it will play anything - I have the next one down to this that does not play MKV files (a newer compressed format) and it's wicked!
It upscales to 1080p too :)

My only gripe is the remote is pants - But the new ones have a better remote.

If you get one of these it will be one of the best things you ever bought!

You can get them with hard drives in too but these are great for the cash!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back