Please advise on recent plastering job

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Tape was showing so they patched that bit. Put boarding on a wall and then told me the wall is wonky and it doesn't match the doorway. Plastered over blown plaster when I asked them to take the blown plaster off. Said bonding it would be good enough. Now I can tap it and it sounds blown to 6 inch width between new and old solid plaster. Please advise.

Sponsored Links
Get them to rectify the problems and then re skim it, sounds as if you have a vague or verbal quote that needed to be specific.

Get them to rectify the problems and then re skim it, sounds as if you have a vague or verbal quote that needed to be specific.

thanks for your reply. However, I stood in front of them and said that the blown plaster would need taking off and this big guy said it didn't and that they would bond it and it would be fine. I felt really intimidated and he just ignored me completely and now it sounds hollow. I am looking after two kids whilst renovating this house. I paid them to get rid of them because they are sub contracted by the loft conversion company. I am really stressed and I don't think I want them back in case they do an even worse job or worse still, they are well dodgy and just bodge it for the sake of it. The site manager from the conversion company knew it had to come off but this seems to be the only plastering company they use and they said "our plasterers are the best".........

if they are subcontracted by the loft company then the loft company should be paying them not you, if your paying them you might as well get your own spread in, if they are putting wonky boards up and you have scrim showing they cant be that good you should tell the loft company your not happy with what they have done

Sponsored Links
if they are subcontracted by the loft company then the loft company should be paying them not you, if your paying them you might as well get your own spread in, if they are putting wonky boards up and you have scrim showing they cant be that good you should tell the loft company your not happy with what they have done

I met with the Site Manager today who says the plasterer explained that they dot and dabbed the bit that sounds blown and that's why it's making the same noise as if old plaster. They explained that if plasterboarded between old bits and newer bits, the space tapped between the dot and dab can sound hollow. They have offered to knock a hole in it tomorrow to check if the plasterers are telling the truth and would be very surprised if they found blown plaster underneath. I haven't a clue about what to do and even less about what happens to this type of plastering over the years. Advice very much appreciated.

Its true about dot and dab, it will sound hollow between the dabs, knocking a hole through is a good idea to check, its a popular method used at the moment. I hope the site manager treats you well.

I tihnk in the last photo, thats just some grab adhesive thats been squeezed out, plastering looks fine imo, a mist coat once it's all fully dried out will tell you more, I'd say that the pine end wall has been dot and dabbed.

I tihnk in the last photo, thats just some grab adhesive thats been squeezed out, plastering looks fine imo, a mist coat once it's all fully dried out will tell you more, I'd say that the pine end wall has been dot and dabbed.

The plastering under the window has dried like that and I am wondering if paint will be ok to stick to it? I'm no expert btw by any means... In the last photo - should they not have skimmed there? I know it's a tight spot but they have left it like that and I have paid them. It's an easy spot to miss I guess.

the first pic looks like its been a little over troweled but shouldent cause any problems if its flat, i cant make out the second pic, but on the last pic, i would just paint that little gap there is not much to gain putting a bit of skim in there, overall looks like a reasonable job, can you show a better pic of pic 2?

A reasonable job? Look at all the juddering trowel marks - it's a complete bodge. I wouldn't expect anyone to pay me a penny for a job like that.

A reasonable job? Look at all the juddering trowel marks - it's a complete bodge. I wouldn't expect anyone to pay me a penny for a job like that.
you must be able to see things i cant all i can see is the over troweling in pic 1 i cant see any juddering trowel marks, im also using a dongle to browse internet so pics sometimes dont look sharp sometimes pixelated low res like in pic 2 i cant see much all i can see is that under the window you have 2 different shades of pink in low res, i can see pic 1 quite clearly, what pic are the juddering trowel marks in?

Two and three in different parts of the wall. It also looks like the corners are full of crud, but as you say, it's hard to tell from a little picture.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back