Please explain 1 way, 1 way, 3 way light switches to me

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I want to replace the old switches, and am totally confused as to what to buy.

In a room with one light and one switch, I assume a one way switch is what I need.

In the hall there is one light, with switches top and bottom. So a two way switch?

If that is correct, then when would I need a three way switch? Is it as simple as that? If so, I dont understand why Homebase for example seem to only sell 2/3 way switches. Can a 2 way be used for a single switch/light setup?

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
If there is just one switch for the light, then a 1 way switch with two terminals is used. A 2 way switch can be used as well.

If two switches control the light, you use two 2 way switches. These have three terminals.

If you need to switch the light from three or more positions, you will need two 2 way switches, and then the remaining switches will be intermediate switches. Intermediate switches have four terminals.

I'm sure sparkwright knows this but you can also use an intermediate switch (not that you'd want to unless you were desperate) to switch as a one way switch.

Love the book remember on a farm with those always used my hat as sometimes they became live.

However the terms 1 way, and 2 way depends on where you find the switch. As a commercial electrician I remember wondering how you could ever get a 1 way switch? To me it started at 2 way i.e. on or off. I used wafer switches which were 6 way 6 pole and the whole idea of domestic switching had me scratching my head.

It's all down to names the intermediate switch I called a change over switch. To compound this the two way switching taught when I was at school is completely different to what we use today.

two-way-plus-inter.bmp
The multi-switch used for many years follows this however today we have These which means we no longer have to run cables between the switches.

I will admit the jargon used is often a problem. Be it Lamp, Bulb, Two Way, it is a problem with the internet meaning we often read non UK sites. However this is a UK site and there are good help files on Wiki.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back