please help - dont know what to do with ensuite shower room

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi in my bedroom is an ensuiteshower. The small floor space that you step out of the shower on to is tiled. over time the floor under the floor tiles is wet and black. i have taken the offending chipboard flooring out and intend to replace with new. I am not sure what to do after that to ensure a water tight floor. is there a screed / compound of some description that i can apply to chipboard prior to re tiling.
or do i not tile and use another flooring ??

any help gratefully appreciated as i am stumped??? :(

Cheers

Sponsored Links
Do not replace with chipboard as it loves to soak up water and swell. Use some marine plywood screwed down every 100mm with drywall screws if on floorboards or same onto each joist if laying over. Make sure you use a thickness strong enough not to flex for the area covered.
Then use flexible adhesive and groiut on the tiles to ensure a water tight seal for many years to come.
Pete

before fixing the screws you might like to look where the pipes and cables are. very popular under bathroom floors :LOL:

guys,

many thanks, any suggestions for marine ply thickness?

also can i get from B&Q as i want to do tommorrow?

Sponsored Links
18mm

WBP ply will do - it withstands boiling water

marine ply has a nice hardwood veneer for varnishing and is more expensive

p.s. the wet old flooring chipboard you pull up was most likely 18mm thick so the same thickness of ply (it's much stronger) will save you having to re-level anything

It is a grade of plywood. your supplier will have it.

Stands for Water and Boil-Proof

Is generally considered suitable for bathroom floors and outdoor work.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back