Please help! Electricity conduit leaking through wall?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I'm new to this site, but the advice I've read so far has seemed really helpful, so could someone please help me with this?

Me and my partner have bought an old house which we are renovating. The electricity appears to be o.k., but in the front room, where the main light switch is, are some spots of moisture that are seeping through our plasterwork, and seem to be coming from a metal pipe that houses the cables for our main light switch. Is this our conduit? Is this normal? Is it anything to worry about, and if not, what should I do about the unsightly leaking? The wires themselves that are currently exposed (as we have just had the room plastered) seem dry, so is this moisture forming on the outside of the pipe by any chance/for any reason? The house is currently uninhabited/unheated, so could this be a cause?

Also, I know that this has been posted before, but could someone tell me an unequivocal yes or no, as to whether there are minimum height restrictions on wall sockets? All ours are attatched to skirting boards.

Thanks so much!

Sponsored Links
Doobrah said:
Also, I know that this has been posted before, but could someone tell me an unequivocal yes or no, as to whether there are minimum height restrictions on wall sockets? All ours are attatched to skirting boards.

for new build properties there are the part M disabled access regulatations but those don't effect work on existing properties as long as you don't make the situation regarding disabled access to sockets etc worse.

but even in an existing property you need to ensure that the sockets are mounted sufficantly far from the floor to avoid damageing the cable where it leaves the plug (a possible alternative would be to mount the sockets so the cable exits the plug at the top but most would consider that quite a strange installation method).

hiya doobrah, is the wall that the switch is on an external wall? if so you could have a problem with your pointing which is allowing moisture through the brick and cavity and could appear to come from the conduit, my advice on this matter is just keep an eye on it. as for the other part re- height of sockets, approved document M states as plugwash has said that in new build the heights of swithches and socket out-lets range from 450mm from the floor and 1200 from the floor but as that indicates that is for new build but as long as you have the sockets high enough so that damage from vacuum cleaner for instance is avoided and again as plugwash has said it's far enough off the floor for you to be able to get the plug in and out with ease without trapping the flex

good luck in your new home :D

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back