Please Help: 'Ideal Mexico Super 2 CF 60' Stopped Working

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi guys,

any help identifying what's wrong with my boiler would be really appreciated.

We have an Ideal Mexico Super 2 CF 60 gas boiler. It was in the house when we bought it last spring so I don't know how old it is, but it looks like it's at least several years old. It worked fine until a couple of days ago, but then it completely cut out.

Following the instructions on the panel, I can get the pilot light lit, however when I come to the last stage in the ignition process - turning up the thermostat on the boiler facade from the zero position - the main burners kick in, and all looks fine for a couple of seconds, but then the burners and the pilot light both go out, and I have to start again.

I've also noticed that if I don't actually move the boiler thermostat from the zero position (i.e. I deliberately don't start the main burners), the pilot light still goes out, but after about 30-60 seconds.

In both cases, the flames going out is accompanied by an audible 'tink' sound, as if something is tripping, and my impression is that this is coming from the gas control unit (the bit with the gas control knob and the ignition button on).

Apologies if I'm not being completely clear, but I'm totally new to all this - let me know if I should supply any other information.

I guess my only other question is whether the CF 60 is a reasonable boiler that I should be trying to fix, or whether it's an old out-of-date thing
I should be looking to replace?

Many thanks in advance for any help on this.

Will

Sponsored Links
Well its old and not very efficient and is probably on the list of qualifying boilers for the scrappage £400 contribution if you get a new one fitted.

Its very reliable though and I would expect it will cost under £100 to fix. However I cannot give you advice on fixing it youself as it needs to be repaired by a gas registered engineer,

Tony Glazier

Basically your boiler has a dirty pilot and needs a service and as your boiler is conventional flued this should be done every 12 months

A good service and a new thermocouple, should cost about £70+vat, the engineer can have a good look at the boiler and advise you on its condition, the mexico was probably the last decent boiler Ideal made!! ;)

Sponsored Links
Thanks everyone for the advice, really helpful. I'll get it serviced and ask them to check the thermocouple, but sounds like the boiler's worth persisting with since it may simply have been overdue for a service. Will look into scrappage eligibility though, in case the engineer reckons its on its last legs - useful to know about that scheme, so thanks again.

there are as many valid reasons to keep your boiler as to change it. It all depends which on which camp you live in (so to speak). I personally would give it a good service/clean on a regular basis and only replace it when it's in the way (re-fit) or totally fails (un-likely)

Have to echo those comments. These things are virtually bomb proof! Hang on to it for as long as possible.

IMHO even with the £400 scrappage, by the time you allowed for purchase, fitment, repairs to and finally replacement (again!!!!) of a new boiler in 10 years time its possible you will not have covered your saving on gas usage! :eek:

Great, its been a cold few days but good to hear that it's such a well-regarded unit - one less job to do! Thanks again everyone.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back