Please help me, line? scrape off? plaster?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi guys im in some serious need of advice and help, I understand you get asked lots of question but I have searched extensively and still cannot find the best solution to my diy problems. I really do appreciate any help you can give me, I am a Vauxhall technician so if you need any car advice including vivaro, Renault traffic or Nissan primastar vans then let me know I will happy to help.
Basically I have lots or flaking paint in my kitchen, dining room and other areas of the house. Its 15 years old so no lead paint present. It looks like the original coat over the plaster was not done very well its started flaking and coming of the wall all over the place. So it looks like a previous owner of the house has just painted over this mess with a sort of light chocolate colour. My problem is it looks a mess and has an uneven finish. I want to re paint the lot.
I started to scrape the paint off with a steamer as an aid. Its taking forever!!! Where the original paint on the plaster is comes of a lot easier than the areas where the original paint has come of and previous owner has painted over, this is the hard stuff to get off.
I don’t know whether to give up on the scraping and line the walls with say 1700 lining paper but I don’t really no what prep is needed, do I still need to scrape all the old paint of or can I just smooth of ruff areas.
So I don’t know whether to keep scraping the paint of or prep for lining paper. However if I line ive got a lot of tricky areas to contend with.
Also my doors and frames have all faded. I don’t want to use gloss as I’ve seen on watch dog this fades after a few weeks and seen this myself when I painted some doors at work once. Has this gloss been re developed yet or should I stick to the water based pure brilliant white. It takes a few coats I know but what would you recommend. If I use this paint do I just need to sand the doors down a little to give the paint a nice key?
Does anybody have any links to a guide on hanging lining paper? I’m also not sure what should be the first coat of paint. Do I need to seal it?
Sorry for the extensive essay ill put the questions more simply
Old paint, what is the best form of removal
Would it better to line the walls
Best way to prep the doors and frames and what paint to use
If I do line what is the best undercoat to use
Any guides to hanging lining paper. I have wall papered and it turned out pretty nice.
Please see the pictures. As you can ive scraped most of the back wall.
P.S if anyone is from Lincolnshire (Lincoln) we could do some sort of a deal. Ill do your cambelt and full service on your van if you sort this mess out lol.
Thanyou all.

IMG_1242_zps26eed840.jpg

IMG_1241_zps25b5d5ab.jpg

IMG_1240_zps3f7a4a7b.jpg

IMG_1239_zps362469be.jpg

IMG_1238_zpsd21c4584.jpg

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back