Please help me refill my hot water tank.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am having trouble refilling my hot water tank. I came downstairs this morning to find water dripping through the living room ceiling all over the couch and carpet. I went upstairs and saw the bottom of the cupboard where the hot water tank is wet.

Not knowing what to do or where the leak was coming form I shut off the cold supply to the house and turned on all the hot and cold taps to drain the entire system as quickly as I could. This stopped the water dripping into the living room so I was quite happy.

I have now traced the leak to the shower pump which is situated below the how water tank so I have isolated this by shutting off the water going to the pump.

I then turned the cold supply back on and the cold water tank in the loft filled up but the hot water tank is still empty.

Can anyone advise on how to refill the hot tank? It seems to be fed from the same pipe that fills the cold tank but for some reason the hot tank didn't fill.

Sponsored Links
How do you know the hot water tank is empty?

The draw off is normally from the top so by turning on a tap you can't empty it, you get water out until the supply runs out then it stops flowing leaving the tank full.

Right I understand now that the hot water tank is probably full but I still have no water coming out any hot taps. Anything I should do?

Sponsored Links
Could just be an air lock .try a wet and dry vac hoover on open hot tap .
Or shower hose held onto open hot tap and turn on cold water you should hear the water flowing back ,only try for about 30 seconds at a time .

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back