Please help me understand my heating system - One Pipe Open Vent System

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom

I am lucky to live in a detached house that has four bedrooms in it - I have an Ideal Mexico 2 boiler with 3 inch steel barrell pipework coming up the external of the house.

I have had a few gas engineers come out to try and replace and they all want to rip out floorboards and generally make a mess and I have done so much research.

I have the following questions

1. I believe I have a one pipe system - Is this correct?
  2. Do I have gravity hot water or fully pumped system?
  3. Is it possible to have hot water only without central heating? I believe not - If I turn on th eboiler the flow pipe gets hot, some of which goes to the hot water cylinder but the remainder goes to the radiators. Is this correct?

I tried to include a picture of the boiler and pipework - Would be really good to have expert advice from wise forum members on this

My thought was to replace with an Intergas OV HRE 30KW - And I was hoping it would be a like for like swap.

One final point - I replaced a cast iron radiator with a column radiator and a TRV4 valves - It only gets lukewarm - Would the pump speed change how hot the rad gets? There is a 28mm Magnaclean filter on one branch of the return

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back