please help me with my virus

I

imamartian

i have contracted this ridiculous virus... trojan zlob ... get a menu bar with "security toolbar 7.1" and it keeps chucking up malicious virus warnings....

has anyone got any ideas how to get rid? there are planty of sites offering this or that website to clean it.... but who knows what is real?

I have norton installed, and that doesn't even know there's a burglar about to enter his back passage !!!!

any thoughts would be appreciated !!

Sponsored Links
dunno what system your running?but perhaps you could do a system restore to an earlier time,that then buys you some time to find a removal program on the intraweb?

Sponsored Links
but perhaps you could do a system restore to an earlier time

Do not do that. Please!

why?????
im assuming that your saying the virus will still be there?
i thought that was the reason why it was there,as it says if you encounter problems i:e something that has been downloaded and fubars your system you can go back to an earlier time and remove said item?

or am i talking out of my ar5e?

:eek: :LOL:

System restore is flaky at best.

Remove virus manually and then disable system restore , reboot then re activate it. This will effectively flush all previous restore points.

but perhaps you could do a system restore to an earlier time

Do not do that. Please!

why?????
im assuming that your saying the virus will still be there?
i thought that was the reason why it was there,as it says if you encounter problems i:e something that has been downloaded and fubars your system you can go back to an earlier time and remove said item?

or am i talking out of my a**e?

:eek: :LOL:
Generally it is best to temporarily disable System Restore after you have confirmed virus attack.

If a virus has infected your system System Restore may actually back up this infection.

Windows itself prevents programs from modifying System Restore including anti virus progs. So the potential to restore the infection remains even though you may have cleared the threat from other locations

You should then update virus definitions and run a full system scan again

Thanks for all the suggestions.
But it is now nearly sorted.

Norted finally got rid of it. The scans were showing nothing, but i went into the history, and it showed that it had spotted and quarantined ZLOB the merciless.

Deleted it, but now occasionally get (what i believe to be) an AVGFREE 'Resident Shield Alert' telling me of rogue files. It looks worrying like the ZLOB pop-ups, but has an AVG logo in the corner.

Firstly, should i run 'hijackthis'?

Secondly, would it be safe for me to do my shopping using this PC after the ZLOB attack?

So are you running both Norton and AVG Free at the same time?
You should not run them together. Pick one as your anti virus and set it to run automatically from start up. Disable the other one and use for occasional checks only by manually starting it

Where does the AVG Resident Shield Alert identify the rogue files are stored?

Using Norton as an example have you followed the instructions for removal from the link provided above:
1. Disable System Restore (Windows Me/XP).
2. Update the virus definitions.
3. Run a full system scan.
4. Delete any values added to the registry.

Have you updated your AVG virus definitions recently?

Hijackthis will produce a log file which will show what is running on your system and should aid in identifying rogue files - you will need to establish which these files are though!

Once you are sure your system is free from any virus and spyware then it will be as safe as it was before you contracted the virus

Thanks Tony.

i have removed AVG.

1. Disable System Restore (Windows Me/XP). Didn't do
2. Update the virus definitions. Did this
3. Run a full system scan. Did this
4. Delete any values added to the registry. Didn't do

i let Norton run a live update whenever it prompts.

Not sure where the rogue files were, but one of them was called iebr.dll

Incidentally the pc now runs like a dog.

i have removed AVG.
What method did you use to remove?

1. Disable System Restore (Windows Me/XP). Didn't do
I think you should otherwise you run the risk of reintroducing virus at some time in the future. Disabling restore will clear/erase all restore points until you re enable after following the virus removal instructions

4. Delete any values added to the registry. Didn't do
This is also an important part of removal. Follow the instructions HERE click on the Tab labelled Removal and follow the instruction very carefully particularly deleting values in registry (make a backup as stated!!)

i let Norton run a live update whenever it prompts.

Not sure where the rogue files were, but one of them was called iebr.dll
This is widely reported as a Trojan fake alert linked to the type of problem you experienced

Incidentally the pc now runs like a dog
This could be due to many reasons e.g. AVG not removed completely, Norton not updated correctly etc. etc.
First priority should be to make sure you have a stable system with anti virus updated and working correctly

Tony, you're a true gent.

I disabled the System Restore - do i re-enable this when my system is secured?

i had a look at the registry, the entries it recommended deleting weren't there.

Sponsored Links
Back