Please help - newbie post - re sealed system lockouts

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi, i have already searched the threads and tried to follow the advice in the sticky but its not helping.

I have no experience of central heating systems apart from what ive just read.

i have a powermax 140 SS. It stopped working this morning and now i have no hot water or central heating.

the only light which turns on is the red lockout light.

there are two pressure gauges - one connected to a pipe and the other on the boiler. the black needle is at 2 bars and the red needle points to 0.5 bar. I've read that the pressure should be at 1 bar - is this for the black or red needle?

I've located what i think is the filling loop. iot is connected at both ends. one end has a plastic valve which if i turn it chnges the pressure in the gauge on the pipe but when i put the valve back in its original position the pressure falls back down again. On the other side there is no black plastic valve. There is what looks like a screw. Do i turn this?

[/img]

Sponsored Links
s100 said:
there are two pressure gauges - one connected to a pipe and the other on the boiler. the black needle is at 2 bars and the red needle points to 0.5 bar. I've read that the pressure should be at 1 bar - is this for the black or red needle?
There's no rule regarding the colour, but you should be able to adjust one of them with a slot in centre spindle. If you can move the one that's at 2 bar, then your pressure is currently too low.

one end has a plastic valve which if i turn it chnges the pressure in the gauge on the pipe but when i put the valve back in its original position the pressure falls back down again.
The gauges are somewhat sensitive to the flow of water, so can only trust the static reading. Increase to about 0.1 bar beyond what you want, then shut off. Or keep opening/shutting until it's up to the value you want.

On the other side there is no black plastic valve. There is what looks like a screw. Do i turn this?
No. That's a bleed point on a non-return valve.

Once you've turned the black handle to stop water flowing, you should be able to disconnect the filling loop at the boiler end. Also, you're supposed to disconnect it to prevent a leaking valve from overpressuring the system.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back