Please help, no heating despite three "repairs"!

sounds as though the fault is with this new thermostat.

If you turn the stat up to it's max setting does the heating come on within 5 minutes? Some of the newer stats have a delay period before they send a signal to turn on. (to reduce cycling)

You could also try using a new set of batteries (not rechargable). I have had the odd set come nearly flat that work for an hour or so then cause the faults you describe.

Sponsored Links
You also need to use good quality alkaline batteries like Duracell.

Rubbish zinc carbon ones sold at one pound for 200 just will not work!

Tony

jasonvaughan";p="1453235 said:
so u took the batteries out of the stat and wondered why your heating wont work.....

I'm not stupid, I know how to overide the stat on the control panel and the heating works more reliably without it, just not reliably enough, so the stat isn't the main problem. I would rather they dealt with the thermostat problem when the heating itself is functioning properly without it as it's yet another issue that can be taken out of the loop for now.

The previous thermostat had not worked since we bought the house and the heating had always been operated without one, I've gone back to doing it that way.

Preheat is currently off. Engineer was clearly talking out of his backside as the preheat does work and works very well, in fact there is more instant hot water. But is off for the moment to see if it was causing a problem.

Heating now functioning as long as you don't use a hot tap. When you do use a hot tap, even after turning the tap off the boiler carries on doing its thing with the heating switched off. I can't get up in the loft to check the lights at the moment, but heating is functioning normally for now.

Will wait and see if fix tomorrow does the trick.

ok, assming you have removed the wires from the wiring center and put the link back in, your room stat reciever is still in play. without you looking at the lights its hard for us to help you diagnose a fault.

from what you have said, it sounds like your boiler is struggling to complete the preheat function which it will give priority too over heating. this will be indicated by the hw demand light flashing continuously. this would then sugest the dhw priority valve or divertor valve is letting by, or minimum gas preasure is too low.

when you get a chance too look at the lights, maybe we can narrow this down for you a bit..

hope this helps jay

Sponsored Links
BG know your home is your world ...maybe you just got a Power mad Despot who wants world domination ...instead of a knowlegable BG "engineer"

BG know your home is your world ...maybe you just got a Power mad Despot who wants world domination ...instead of a knowlegable BG "engineer"

PMSL! :LOL:

A lovely, absolutely lovely engineer came out today, the same one who came out twice last week (I wasn't here at the time).

He took out the motorised valve, said it was all scaled up and cleaned it up, put it back (he did have a new part with him and said it wasn't needed) put it back... heating has worked fine ever since (touching wood here)!

So fingers crossed, thanks for your help.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back