Please help..paint job gone wrong!!!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Wife, who's never painted before has messed up whilst painting a few wooden doors around the house yesterday morning.

The doors were painted with a NON-DRIP gloss, but it still was fairly liquidy. After messing up the job, she let it dry a little and then using a scraper, she took out all the drips, leaving the rest of the good paintwork on.

I today tried to sand it, but the paint is still slightly wet and the sander is making more of a mess.

The only problem is that next week (Mon), we have invited very important guests and don't want them to see our terrible doors.

My question is that how can i quickly fix this problem, i.e. nicely clean the bits of paint that are messed up?
Thanks for helping

Sponsored Links
i don`t think you can, what i would do is use a hot air gun to strip all the paint off and start again. that is if you don`t want to live with a second coat but still with the dodgy paint.

i would not use paint stripper!!

hi and thanks for your fast reply. I thought there was a way of drying the paint so that it becomes flaky and then paint over that?

the "base" has to be sound so if what you thought was true, the new paint would sonn fall off. a bit like trying to stand still on ball bearings

Sponsored Links
If all else fails, remove the doors, hide them in the garage and say your cutting edge with an 'open plan' house!

I forgot to add guys that the doors were varnished previously and she didn't sand them down...just painted over them. :oops:

Come on guys...seriously..there must be a way off speeding up the process of drying, so that i can sand them down?

If it's not too late, I think I'd wash/wipe it off with white spirit.
Plenty of rags and be careful where I discarded them.

Get a scraper and dry scrape the Non-Drip Gloss off. Get a hook scraper to scrape of the Non-Drip Gloss off the groves. Do this as soon as posible. Then once most of the Non-Drip Gloss has been dried scraped off, wash the doors down with White Spirit. Then Rub down Doors. Then apply one coat of Zamix Coverseal (which is oil based and can be re-coated after one hour). Then overcoat the doors with a coat of Du;ux Trade Satinwood.

Third_Eye said:
Get a scraper and dry scrape the Non-Drip Gloss off. Get a hook scraper to scrape of the Non-Drip Gloss off the groves. Do this as soon as posible. Then once most of the Non-Drip Gloss has been dried scraped off, wash the doors down with White Spirit. Then Rub down Doors. Then apply one coat of Zamix Coverseal (which is oil based and can be re-coated after one hour). Then overcoat the doors with a coat of Du;ux Trade Satinwood.

Thank You!!! If you can think of any other ways, please let me know!

Forget it, you are onto a loser. If they that important guests, then make a talking point over it, but pretend YOU did it. Whatever you do, DON'T belittle your wife. Make a joke of it, you will probably go up in their esteem, and if you don't, they are rsoles and not worth the perceived importance.

ok oilman point taken...but can you give me any ideas as how to fix the paint job, rather than the guests mate?

That's easy. Don't try to do it before Monday, then you will have time. Use a heat gun and strip the paint, sand the last bit and repaint.

What are the doors? Are they flat/ panelled? old? modern?

ripperuk said:
they are modern wooden doors with four squares...not flat-panelled

Third -eye gave you the best detailed advice....What are you waiting for :?: they wont look good till you get stuck in.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back