PLEASE HELP - pilkington K

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,

I'm currently having a conservatory built and have had several problems with the builders to date - big corners cut etc...... The frame gets installed soon and I have requested Pilkington K and active blue. I am now not confident that I will indeed get what I have asked for. Can anyone PLEASE tell me how to identify these glasses. Have read about the Pilkington K having 4 reflections of light with one of these reflections being a different coulour. Is this also true when active blue is fitted aswell.

Thanks,

Laura :confused:

Sponsored Links
You can get a device to test if it is K glass, about £50 though.
The glass when installed should also have K glass stickers on it so it is put in the right way round.

Did you need a building warrant? If so the BCO might want to see proof as well.

What guarantee are you getting with the windows/glass. Tell him you need the suppliers details in case you need to make a claim.

Can't thankyou enough. I really appreciate you taking the time to advise. (No planning permission needed) Why oh why aren't conservatories subject to building regs...... - sorry I'm off on a rant.

What guarantee are you getting with the windows/glass. Tell him you need the suppliers details in case you need to make a claim.
This is yet to be discussed with him but I had been thinking a lot about this, can I be expecting a written manufacturers guarantee?

He was recommended by a neighbour and I honestly wish I'd never bothered - all I have is a mobile contact phone number for him and I wish I'd purchased from a long established company! (Haven't paid yet but with just my little self trying to get my concerns across to a big burly builder has been stressful!!!, a nightmare) :( I dread talking to him!

[/quote]

Sponsored Links
Why oh why aren't conservatories subject to building regs....

They are subject to building regs and are only exempt if they meet certain criteria. One is that they need to have safety/laminated glass.

Tell him you've been asked by building control to give them information on the glass specification.

Or get a building surveyor to check it once he's finished - you could say this is being done as you're putting the cost of the conservatory on your mortgage. This shouldn't cost a lot and if you distrust the guy that much it would put your mind at rest.

Not sure if this is 100% correct but i always thought the toughening process (that is required with a conservatory) actualy reduces the effect of k glass ?

EDIT..

Scrub that comment. Just read up on it and it doesnt :confused:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back