28mm pilkington k glass

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Had a quote to fit some patio doors and the company use 28mm pilkington k glass. Is this good stuff? don't know much about glazing, but have heard of Pilkington as a good brand. Someone once told me to be careful that I am getting pilkington k glass, as for all I know it might just claim to be. What should I look for? Are there any clues or markings? don't want to be paying for something and not getting it.

any advice would be appreciated

Sponsored Links
28mm thick glass, i would like to see a door with that in!!

overall double glazed unit thickness will be 28mm.

the two thicknesses of glass will amount to say, 12mm with a 16mm air gap between.

the glazing units are usually supplied with a sticker stating, "low 'e' glass this side to face room interior". the glass should also be toughened, this will be defined by an indelible mark on the inside corner of the glazed unit.

As noseall says, 28mm is the width of the glass unit with the air gap in between dependant on glass thickness used. What you’re being quoted is the current standard specification & nothing special; some units are now Argon filled which is supposed to make a diference. I would be more concerned with the quality of the sliding & locking mechanisms & the installation! Make sure the company is FENSA registered & that you get your certificate (or they get & pay for a BC conformance certificate from the council) or you may have problems when you come to sell. Get an independent 10 year warranty from them if you can.

Richard C said:
Make sure the company is FENSA registered
There's nothing in itself wrong with a supplier that is not Fensa registered - it may just mean that it is a small independent firm that does not see it worthwhile joining, and paying for, the big boy's club. You can get work certificated by application to Building Control (cost £50 + VAT).

I make windows and doors and I'm not Fensa registered. I don't give 10 year guarantees because my stuff is designed to last for at least a couple of centuries if not the lifetime of the building.

A 28 mm unit for a door might be either toughened glass or laminated. It's worth deciding which you want. Toughened breaks into little pieces that don't cut your wrists when you hit it very hard. Laminated, when hit hard, cracks but doesn't fall apart to cut your wrists. Toughened is a bit harder to break but easier to walk through the hole when you do break it. Laminated is more resistant to burglars. Of, course you could have the best of both worlds by laminating toughened glass. Toughened bears a kite mark in the corner, laminated looks different, with three layers, when viewed on edge.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back