Pilkington K glass

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi
i have just had 3 new windows fitted, they are supposed to be Pilkington K glass, the two upstairs have safety glass and have a kite mark on, but the one down stairs does not, it just has a serial No between the glass which is BSEN 1273-2, is this one Pilington K or not

samtheman

Sponsored Links
The only sure way to tell if you have E glass is to use an electronic tester. Your fitter will likely have one and should be happy to pop in for 5 mins to confirm it is E glass, they're about £60 I think. If they claim to not have such a device or are reluctant to come back that may be a clue. Did they issue you a Fensa certificate?

Building Control inspectors will also have such a device.

Allegedly to the trained eye there is a sheen that can be seen or something like that, from the Pilkington website: " Pilkington K Glass has high light transmission and appears virtually the same as clear float glass. However, in rare instances of strong oblique lighting, the coating may be seen as a transparent film. This is simply a transient visual effect which can be considered positive evidence of the coated surface being present. Further evidence of the coating's presence is through the very minor effect it has on white light transmission. This effect is so small as to be generally unnoticeable However, when a light coloured object or material is in close proximity to the glazing, dependent on local circumstances and conditions, a slight darkening can be noted."

Normally the glass has sticker on it as it arrives on site which are removed by the fitters. You obviously do not have these. Realistically it won't really make any difference but if you've paid for it you should have it.

Sponsored Links
The only sure way to tell if you have E glass is to use an electronic tester. Your fitter will likely have one and should be happy to pop in for 5 mins to confirm it is E glass, they're about £60 I think. If they claim to not have such a device or are reluctant to come back that may be a clue. Did they issue you a Fensa certificate?

Building Control inspectors will also have such a device.

Allegedly to the trained eye there is a sheen that can be seen or something like that, from the Pilkington website: " Pilkington K Glass has high light transmission and appears virtually the same as clear float glass. However, in rare instances of strong oblique lighting, the coating may be seen as a transparent film. This is simply a transient visual effect which can be considered positive evidence of the coated surface being present. Further evidence of the coating's presence is through the very minor effect it has on white light transmission. This effect is so small as to be generally unnoticeable However, when a light coloured object or material is in close proximity to the glazing, dependent on local circumstances and conditions, a slight darkening can be noted."

Normally the glass has sticker on it as it arrives on site which are removed by the fitters. You obviously do not have these. Realistically it won't really make any difference but if you've paid for it you should have it.

thank you for your reply, i have heared of the machine that tests the glass, i will ask the glazing firm to check that out for me,regarding the FENSA certificate,what is that for, they didn't leave me that

regards

samtheman

http://www.planningportal.gov.uk/en...orkcommondoorwindow/workmorebregsdoorswindows

Technically you now need building regulations approval if replacing windows. You can either organise approval yourself or use a Fensa approved fitter. They ought to have mentioned it at some point although I wouldn't lose any sleep over it if they were not Fensa fitters. Only likely to become a problem if you're planning on selling anytime soon and the surveyor realises you've changed the windows.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back